Edith was born in a small town in Romania in 1919. She went to study fashion in Vienna at age 15 but fled to the Netherlands when Hitler annexed Austria. She immigrated to Palestine at the end of the war, before moving to the US. Her first husband, Hans Stein, was caught by the Nazis and died at Auschwitz in 1944. Edith, her second husband Eric Flagg (1916—1999), and son Michael Flagg (born 1943), are World War II survivors. Flagg and her husband were active members of the Dutch Resistance Forces that fought the Nazi regime and saved multiple Jewish and non-Jewish lives during the war.
Flagg's clothing-line, "Edith Flagg, Inc." (1956–2000), was a dress manufacturer in the United States from the 1950s through the early 1990s. She was known for her use of polyester.
Flagg and her husband were active contributors to California Apparel News and Women's Wear Daily.. They wrote a weekly column titled "By the Way". In 1971, Edith and Eric Flagg were elected to the Advisory Board of Directors for Manufacturers Bank.
Flagg frequently appears on the TV show Million Dollar Listing to offer business advice to her grandson, Josh Flagg. When Josh was 14, he wrote a book about her: A Simple Girl: Stories My Grandmother Told Me. The book was published in 2009, prior to the show.
Note: listed in chronological order
- "Edith Flagg's Reason-Why: To Design Clothes for the Average Customer's Budget" Virginia Scallon, California Apparel News, Friday Jan 3 1969 page 26.
- "Flagg-Waiving" Women's Wear Daily, Monday October 23, 1967.
- Women's Wear Daily, Tues Feb 13 1968 p 21.
- Harry & Sidney Arkin Buying Office April 18, 1968 Edith Flagg: Never Forgets the Customer, First to Introduce Polyester Knits
- California Apparel News Fri Jan 3 1969
- Women's Wear Daily sec 2 wed jan 6 1971 "Edith Flagg—First American Woman to Use Polyester".
- City of Hope Pilot Magazine 1972—"Flagg elected to board of directors for City of Hope".
- Fashionweek p 17 March 27, 1972—Flagg Merchant's Club president for 3 years.
- California Apparel News, December 20, 1974.
- "DIALOGUE with Eric and Edith Flagg-- Barbara Freidman, Managing Editor CALIFORNIA APPAREL NEWS PAGE 17 FRIDAY MARCH 23 1975.
- Beverly Hills Courier January 9, 1976-- "Flagg, nationally prominent apparel manufacturer, active in the Dutch Underground--Flagg is the new chair of the Committee on Ideology of the City of Hope's Board of Directors.
- Edith Flagg: Celebrating 20 years of Success California Apparel News page 9 Friday June 11, 1976.
- Jewish Federation Council Bulletin July 7, 1980.
- Jewish Federation Council Bulletin March 2, 1981.
- California Apparel News March 20, 1981 p. 16.
- California Apparel News April 3, 1981 p. 22.
- California Apparel News, "By the Way" May 15, 1981.
- Los Angeles Jewish Community Bulletin Nov 23 1981 vol 23 no 22.
- "By the Way" by Edith Flagg Aug 13 1982 vol 38 no 33.
- Los Angeles Jewish Community Bulletin sep 27 1982 vol 24 no 18.
- United Jewish Fund Campaign Update; The Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles-, June 1985.
- United Jewish Fund "Campaign Update" The Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles, front page August 8, 1985.
- Jewish Federation Council/ United Jewish Fund "Update" paper Feb. 27, 1986 -- "Flegenheimer, Fenstra, Flagg: Soldier Without a Uniform".
- Century City News, March 18, 1986.
- Beverly Hills Courier Nov 15 2002 page 9 re: Cindy Flagg Cedars Sinai.
- Beverly Hills 213 Nov 20 2002 vol 20, number 46 page 21 re Cindy Flagg Cedars Sinai.
- BeverlyHills Courier June 4, 2004 front page re: Cindy Flagg Cedars-Sinai.
- Beverly Hills Courier Nov 19 2004 re: CIndy Flagg Cedars Sinai p18.
- Beverly Hills Courier June 2, 2006 re: Cindy Flagg Cedars-Sinai.
- Shirley Halperin (August 20, 2012). "An Evening With 'Million Dollar Listing' 's Grandma Flagg". Hollywood Reporter.
- Julie Byrne (October 14, 1965). "Clotheshorse in the Jet Age". Los Angeles Times.
- Evelyn Mazuran (November 21, 1968). "Spring has Many Looks". The Deseret News.
- Dave Lackie (July 31, 2011). "Josh Flagg’s place in the sun". National Post.
- Kristy Chu (May 12, 2011). "'Million Dollar' Bravo star discusses new book". The Orange County Register.
- ISBN 978-1439265697