Edmunds County, South Dakota
|Edmunds County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,151 sq mi (2,981 km2)|
|• Land||1,146 sq mi (2,967 km2)|
|• Water||6 sq mi (14 km2), .48%|
|• Density||4/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
- McPherson County, South Dakota - north
- Brown County, South Dakota - east
- Faulk County, South Dakota - south
- Potter County, South Dakota - southwest
- Spink County, South Dakota - southeast
- Walworth County, South Dakota - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,367 people, 1,681 households, and 1,210 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 2,022 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 99.20% White, 0.07% Black or African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.05% from other races, and 0.32% from two or more races. 0.48% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 69.4% were of German and 6.2% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 1,681 households out of which 31.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.90% were married couples living together, 4.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.00% were non-families. 25.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the county, the population was spread out with 26.70% under the age of 18, 5.10% from 18 to 24, 23.30% from 25 to 44, 22.70% from 45 to 64, and 22.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 97.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,205, and the median income for a family was $37,174. Males had a median income of $26,609 versus $18,080 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,149. About 10.40% of families and 13.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.80% of those under age 18 and 14.00% of those age 65 or over.
The county is divided into 32 townships: Adrian, Belle, Bowdle, Bryant, Clear Lake, Cleveland, Cloyd, Cordlandt, Cottonwood Lake, Fountain, Glen, Glover, Harmony, Hillside, Hosmer, Hudson, Huntley, Ipswich, Kent, Liberty, Madison, Modena, Montpelier, North Bryant, Odessa, Pembrook, Powell, Richland, Rosette, Sangamon, Union, and Vermont.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Walworth County||Brown County|
|Potter County||Faulk County||Spink County|