logo of EduKart
|Type of site||Online education|
|Created by||Ishan Gupta and Mayank Gupta|
|Alexa rank||6,643 (as of September 2013)|
EduKart is an Indian distance learning cum online education company that provides Indian and international degrees such as MBA, Executive MBA, MCA, MSc IT, BBA, BCA and BSc IT through both distance learning and online mode of education. It also offers industry relevant certificate courses in areas of retail, finance, telecom, digital marketing, programming languages and project management.
The academic support provided by EduKart consists of books and CDs, online content, telephonic support, webinars and mock tests for exam preparation. The support staff is composed of paid subject matter experts, who help students via phone, email or text. The courses are created both by EduKart’s content team and University partners and is based on content EduKart receives through strategic partnerships with universities.
EduKart has partnerships with several universities, both national (Venkateswara Open University, Bharathi Vidyapeeth, Mahatma Gandhi University) and international (Northwood University, London School of Business and Finance, University of Nicosia). The degrees awarded by the Indian universities are recognized by the University Grants Commission and those awarded by the international universities hold the same value as the equivalent degrees earned in a traditional campus environment. The certificate courses are certified by Internet and Mobile Association of India, Computer Society of India, Retailers Association of India and Association of International Wealth Management of India.
EduKart provides also subsequent placement assistance with a resume building service and a job portal on the website.
The business model is similar to a massive open online course (MOOC), with some specific features, e.g. most courses do not have a calendar-based schedule (students may start a course at any time), fees are charged for providing courses (the usual MOOC provider charges fees for exams).
The idea of EduKart was developed by the founders starting from a perceived necessity to bring more flexibility into the Indian education system. The founders, Ishan Gupta and Mayank Gupta, met when they were engineering undergraduates at Delhi University. They subsequently went to Stanford University and IIM Kozhikode respectively to pursue their MBA degrees and then worked at multiple places (Facebook, One97 Communications, Educomp, Studyplaces) before teaming up again in 2011 for EduKart. The company was incorporated in April 2011 and EduKart was launched in November that year.
In May 2013, EduKart had 40 franchisees across India. The CEO mentioned that the decision to create a franchise network was motivated by the fact that in India, even if the product is online, the consumer finds it easier to make the purchase offline after discussion with an authorized person. The franchise counsels students and provides information to potential students to enroll for courses.
In May 2013, EduKart secured $500,000 in funding from a consortium of early-stage institutional and angel investors. The group includes Kima Ventures, Amit Patni and Arihant Patni, AKM Systems (Shiven Malhotra), Vibhor Mehra and alumni from Stanford University. The funding would be used to accelerate EduKart’s growth, launch new courses in partnership with both Indian and international institutions, and strengthen its franchisee network.
- "EduKart.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "EduKart Launches International Programmes with London School of Business & Finance". 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Indian Education goes global as EduKart launches international degrees". 2013-06-09. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Digital Courses". Internet and Mobile Association of India. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "EduKart.com and Computer Society of India launch Online Certificate Courses in Programming Languages". 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "EduKart.com, Retail Assoc launch mgt courses online". Business Standard. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "EduKart And AIWMI Launch Certificate Course In Financial Management". 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "Edukart Raises $500K To Bring Better Online Education To India And The Developing World". TechCrunch. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Being in Koramangala got us visibility in right circles: Ishan Gupta, CEO, Edukart". The Economic Times. 2013-09-09. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "Ishan Gupta on starting up and 18 months of EduKart". 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Jubin Mehta (2013-02-13). "Online education startup EduKart opens 25 franchisees to accelerate growth". Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "EduKart opens 25 Online Edu'n franchisees in India". 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Robin Wauters (2013-05-30). "EduKart raises $500,000 to make waves in India’s online education market". The Next Web. Retrieved 2013-09-16.