Eduard Meyer (25 January 1855 – 31 August 1930) was a German historian.
Meyer was born at Hamburg and educated at the Gelehrtenschule des Johanneums and later at the universities of Bonn and Leipzig. After completing his studies, he spent one year in Istanbul. In 1879, he went to the University of Leipzig as privatdocent. He was appointed professor of ancient history at Breslau in 1885, at Halle in 1889, and at Berlin in 1902. He lectured at Harvard in 1909. Honorary degrees were given him by Oxford, St. Andrews, Freiburg, and Chicago universities.
He died at Berlin.
His principal work is his Geschichte des Altertums (1884-1902; third edition, 1913). He also published:
- Forschungen zur alten Geschichte (1892-1899)
- Untersuchungen zur Geschichte der Gracchen (1894)
- Wirtschaftliche Entwicklung des Altertums (1895)
- Die Entstehung des Judentums (1896)
- Zur Theorie und Methodik der Geschichte (1902)
- Israeliten und ihre Nachbarstämme (1906)
- Theopomps Hellenika (1909)
- Der Papyrosfund in Elephantine (1912)
- Ursprung und Geschichte der Mormonen (1912)
He was also a contributor to the Encyclopaedia Biblica (1903) and 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica.