February 3, 1989 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Fighting out of||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Eduardo Dantas (born February 3, 1989) is a Brazilian professional mixed martial artist who competes in the bantamweight division. A professional MMA competitor since 2007, Dantas has mostly fought for Shooto Brazil, where he has competed for the Shooto 132-pound world title. He is the former Bellator Bantamweight champion. Dantas is currently ranked as the #3 bantamweight in the world and the #1 bantamweight outside of the UFC by fightmatrix.com.
Mixed martial arts career
After compiling a record of 3–1, including a win over Shooto champ Shinichi Kojima, Dantas main evented Shooto Brazil 5. Dantas attempted multiple striking techniques including flying knees, before finishing his opponent with punches to the stomach.
Soon after, Dantas won the Shooto South American 132 lb title, which he owned up going into his fight against Ueda.
In a three round bout, Dantas was able to rock his opponent on a number of occasions, but suffered a point deduction after holding the ropes to prevent a takedown from Ueda. Dantas would go on to lose the bout 29–28, 29–28, 30–28.
Bellator Fighting Championships
In the fall of 2011, Dantas entered Bellator's Season Five Bantamweight Tournament. He defeated Wilson Reis via second round KO in the quarter-final round and Ed West by split decision in the semi-final round in order to advance to the finals.
In the finals, he defeated Alexis Vila via unanimous decision to become the tournament champion.
In August 2012, Dantas faced Tyson Nam in a fight outside of Bellator. Dantas had been permitted by Bellator to fight against Nam, as the fight took place outside of the United States and wouldn't be aired on television in the U.S. either. The two faced off at Shooto Brazil 33: Fight for BOPE II in an event that served as a fundraiser for the "Batalhao de Operacoes Policiais Especiais" (Special Police Operations Battalion), which was Rio de Janeiro's military special forces. Although Dantas rocked Nam early with a knee, he was knocked out in the first round by a counter right hook after he rushed forward aggressively.
It was reported that Dantas had injured his ankle and won't be able to return until 2014 to defend his belt against Rafael Silva. It was announced on January 9, 2014 that Dantas will defend his belt against Rafael Silva on March 7, 2014. However, Silva suffered a knee injury and was replaced by runner-up Anthony Leone. Dantas successfully defended his title, winning via rear-naked choke submission in the second round.
Dantas was scheduled to face Bellator Season 9 Bantamweight Tournament winner Joe Warren at Bellator 118. However, Dantas suffered a head injury and withdrew from the bout. Rafael Silva then faced Warren for the interim title.
Dantas was expected to face Mike Richman on March 27, 2015 at Bellator 135. However, the bout was removed from the fight card after Richman suffered an undisclosed injury. The fight has been rescheduled and is expected to take place at Bellator 137 on May 15, 2015.
Championships and accomplishments
- Bellator Fighting Championships
- Shooto Brazil
- Shooto South American Featherweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||16 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||16–4||Joe Warren||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 128||October 10, 2014||5||5:00||Thackerville, Oklahoma, United States||Lost Bellator Bantamweight Championship|
|Win||16–3||Anthony Leone||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 111||March 7, 2014||2||2:04||Thackerville, Oklahoma, United States||Defended Bellator Bantamweight Championship|
|Win||15–3||Marcos Galvão||KO (punches)||Bellator 89||February 14, 2013||2||3:01||Charlotte, North Carolina, United States||Defended Bellator Bantamweight Championship|
|Loss||14–3||Tyson Nam||KO (punch)||Shooto Brazil 33: Fight for BOPE 2||August 25, 2012||1||1:36||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||14–2||Zach Makovsky||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Bellator 65||April 13, 2012||2||3:26||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won Bellator Bantamweight Championship|
|Win||13–2||Alexis Vila||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 59||November 26, 2011||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Bellator Season 5 Bantamweight Tournament Final|
|Win||12–2||Ed West||Decision (split)||Bellator 55||October 22, 2011||3||5:00||Yuma, Arizona, United States||Bellator Season 5 Bantamweight Tournament Semifinal|
|Win||11–2||Wilson Reis||KO (flying knee and punches)||Bellator 51||September 24, 2011||2||1:02||Canton, Ohio, United States||Bellator Season 5 Bantamweight Tournament Quarterfinal|
|Win||10-2||Samuel de Souza||Submission (armbar)||Shooto - Brazil 20||December 11, 2010||1||0:20||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Defended Shooto South American 132 lb Title|
|Win||9–2||Hiromasa Ogikubo||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Way of Shooto 3||May 30, 2010||3||1:21||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||8–2||Carlos Roberto||TKO (punches)||Shooto Brazil 14||November 26, 2009||2||0:46||Flamengo, Rio de Janeiro|
|Loss||7–2||Masakatsu Ueda||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto - Revolutionary Exchanges 1: Undefeated||July 19, 2009||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan||For the Shooto Featherweight Championship|
|Win||7–1||Mauricio Antonio Santos Jr.||Decision (unanimous)||World Fighting Combat||April 24, 2009||3||5:00||Camboinhas, Brazil|
|Win||6–1||Luis Alberto Nogueira||Submission (armbar)||Shooto Brazil 9||November 29, 2008||2||1:41||Fortaleza, Ceara||Won the vacant Shooto South America Featherweight (123 - 132 lbs.) Championship|
|Win||5–1||Juan Tessari||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Shooto Brazil 7||June 28, 2008||2||2:33||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||4–1||Hudson Rocha||TKO (punches)||Shooto Brazil 5||January 26, 2008||1||N/A||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||3–1||Shinichi Kojima||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto: Back To Our Roots 6||November 8, 2007||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Loss||2–1||Aritano Silva Barbosa||DQ (illegal soccer kicks)||Cassino Fight 4||September 15, 2007||1||3:31||Manaus, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Fabio Oliveira||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto Brazil 3||July 7, 2007||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||William Porfirio||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto Brazil 2||March 24, 2007||3||5:00||Flamengo, Rio de Janeiro|
- "Current MMA Rankings » Bantamweight". Fight Matrix. 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Pictures: The Nova Uniao Army". sherdog.com. January 19, 2010.
- "Top Shootors go back to their roots". sherdog.com. November 7, 2007.
- "Ribeiro impresses at Shooto Brazil". sherdog.com. January 28, 2008.
- "10 July Tussles Worth Watching". sherdog.com. July 2, 2009.
- "Sherdog official Mixed Martial Arts rankings (July 16, 2009)". sherdog.com. July 16, 2009.
- "Ueda holds off Dantas; Formiga upsets Kojima". sherdog.com. July 19, 2009.
- "Weekend rundown: Browning, Prangley, Clementi victorious". sherdog.com. November 30, 2009.
- "Eduardo Dantas". sherdog.com. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "Title bouts added to Shooto - Brazil 20". sherdog.com. November 4, 2010.
- "Video: Bellator champion Eduardo Dantas knocked out by Tyson Nam in Brazil". mmamania.com. August 26, 2012.
- "Tyson Nam knocks out Bellator champ Eduardo Dantas at Shooto Brazil 33". mmajunkie.com. August 26, 2012.
- "Eduardo Dantas sidelined with injury, will defend title against Rafael Silva in 2014". mmafighting.com. October 10, 2013.
- Staff. "Champ Eduardo Dantas vs. Rafael Silva set for Bellator 111 on March 7". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Staff. "Anthony Leone Replaces Injured Rafael Silva, Faces Eduardo Dantas for Bellator Bantamweight Title". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- Al-Shatti, Shaun (April 27, 2014). "Eduardo Dantas suffers head injury, Joe Warren now meets Rafael Silva for interim bantamweight title at Bellator 118". MMA Fighting. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Eduardo Dantas vs. Joe Warren title fight headlines Bellator 128". mmafighting.com. September 8, 2014.
- "Bellator 135 Fight Card". bellator.com.
- Jason Floyd (March 9, 2015). "Mike Richman vs. Eduardo Dantas scratched from Bellator 135; L.C. Davis vs. Hideo Tokoro elevated from prelims to co-main event". themmareport.com.
- Brent Brookhouse (March 31, 2015). "Three bouts announced for Bellator 137, including Mike Richman vs. Eduardo Dantas". mmajunkie.com.