Eduardo Missoni (born July 31, 1954 in Rome) is an Italian medical doctor who has been active in numerous social causes. He was appointed as the Secretary General of the World Organization of the Scout Movement from April 1, 2004 through November 30, 2007.
Dr. Missoni received his medical training and specialty in tropical medicine from Rome University. He subsequently obtained a Master's degree from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. He is a professor at Bocconi University Management School in Milan. His area of teaching and research is related to health development cooperation management and global strategies for health.
He began his career as a volunteer doctor in Nicaragua. He was later employed as a UNICEF officer in Mexico. He worked for the Italian government in the capacity of adviser and representative for health cooperation programs in Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa.
As a youth in Italy Dr. Missoni joined the Scout movement. Later, as a young adult he became a Scout leader and remained active in Scouting until he left for his medical mission in Nicaragua. Many years later, without having applied for the position, he was "headhunted" on behalf of the World Scout Committee and was selected as the new Secretary General of WOSM. He took office April 1, 2004.
On October 15, 2007, a group of National Scouting Organizations wrote an open letter of complaint to the World Scout Committee. The main complaints were that the World Scout Bureau was not focusing on National Scouting Organizations, especially those in developing countries and that there were governance and management issues within the World Scout Bureau.
Two days later, the Boy Scouts of America sent a letter to the WSC reiterating their position and stating that they would withhold funding to the WSB until the current Secretary General was replaced and appropriate processes instituted to restore the WSB its core mission. Svenska Scoutrådet followed with a similar letter. The World Scout Foundation, which had been instituted to insure a reliable funding source for the movement, followed suit.
The World Scout Committee wrote an uncirculated response to these requests on October 24. Several National Scout Organizations expressed concern at this economic coercion. On November 12, 2007, the World Scout Committee met in Cairo and relieved Missoni from his position as Secretary General, despite his opposition and that of many committee members. He was to maintain representative duties until November 30. On November 30, 2007, Eduardo Missoni wrote a chronology of what he called a "putsch" on his personal web page, releasing many documents which were unknown at the time and giving his point of view.
- "Open Letter to Members of the World Scout Committee" (PDF). Save Scouting. 2007-10-15. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- Perry, Wayne M. (2007-10-17). "Recent Decision of the Boy Scouts of America" (PDF). Save Scouting. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- Strid, Johan (2007-10-20). "Decision made by the Swedish Guide and Scout Council" (PDF). Save Scouting. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- Kolind, Lars (2007-10-16). "Decision made by the Chairman of the WSF" (PDF). Save Scouting. Retrieved 2007-11-30.
- "Chronology of the crisis". Save Scouting. 2007-11-30. Retrieved 2007-11-30.
- Hui, Herman (2007-11-13). "Message from Herman Hui". Save Scouting. Archived from the original on 2007-11-19. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- Missoni, Eduardo (2007-11-30). "Eduardo Missoni's blog". Archived from the original on 2007-12-08. Retrieved 2007-11-30.
- Missoni Website
- World Organisation of the Scout Movement: Official biography
- Comments about the end of his WOSM mandate
|World Organization of the Scout Movement|