|Mayor of Rio de Janeiro|
January 1, 2009 – January 1, 2017
|Preceded by||Cesar Maia|
November 14, 1969 |
Rio de Janeiro
Eduardo da Costa Paes (Brazilian Portuguese: [eˈdwaʁdu dɐ ˈkɔstɐ pɐjs]) (born 14 November 1969) is a Brazilian politician who is the mayor of the city of Rio de Janeiro, having defeated Fernando Gabeira in the 2008 Elections. On 12 August 2012, at the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony, Paes received the Olympic Flag, via Jacques Rogge, from London Mayor, Boris Johnson.
"Paes was a noted trenchant critic of the Lula administration, particularly during the Mensalão scandal in 2005 over alleged payments to congressmen for votes"
“Favelas [slums] are not always a problem. Favelas can sometimes really be a solution.”
- "Eduardo Paes is elected the mayor of Rio de Janeiro (in Portuguese)". Globo.com. 27 October 2008. Retrieved 2 January 2009.
- "The mayor who brought the Olympics to Rio de Janeiro".
- http://www.businessinsider.com/eduardo-paes-rio-mayor-bribe-video-2012-10. Missing or empty
- http://riorealblog.com/2012/04/25/delta-corruption-and-leadership-in-rio-de-janeiro/. Missing or empty
- The 4 commandments of cities.
|This article about a mayor in Brazil is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|