Education District, Bakersfield
|District of Bakersfield|
Education District is a district in Downtown Bakersfield, California. It's predominant business are satellite campuses for both public and private colleges and universities. Unlike several other districts in downtown, the Education District did not come about because of formal planning. It instead developed because like businesses decided to locate themselves together.
In the 1970s, Bakersfield College would established a satellite campus in a former department store. Although not known as the Education District at the time, it was the first college to establish a presence downtown. In 1997, the Bakersfield City School District established the Downtown Elementary School nearby. When University Square was constructed in 2001, which served as a satellite campus for UC Merced and Santa Barbara Business College, the education district had been formally established.
The following educational institutions are located in the district:
- Bakersfield College (satellite campus)
- Downtown Elementary School
- Santa Barbara Business College
- University of La Verne
- University of California, Merced (satellite campus)
- DBA History. Downtown Business Association. Accessed: 12-01-2011.
- Parents wait in 'agony' for school entrance lottery results. The Bakersfield Californian. March 17, 2011. Accessed: 12-01-2011.