Education in Delhi
Education is based on three-tier model which includes primary schools, followed by secondary schools and tertiary education at universities or other institutes of same level. Education Department of the Government of Delhi is a premier body which looks into the educational affairs. Tertiary education is administrated by the Directorate of Higher Education.
Delhi has to its credit some of the premier institutions in India like the Indian Institute of Technology, the Delhi Technological University, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences,University of Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru University, the National Institute of Fashion Technology, AJK, Mass Communication Research Centre under Jamia Millia Islamia University, and the Indian Institute of Mass Communication.
In 1860-61, the North-Western Provinces education system was abolished in Delhi, and Punjab education system was introduced with opening of schools at Narela, Najafgarh, Mehrauli and their suburbs.
There are about 500,000 university students in Delhi NCR attending around more than 165 universities and colleges.
Delhi has eight major universities:
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute,Pusa,New Delhi,Premier institute for agricultural research and education in India,http://www.iari.res.in/
- University of Delhi: Central university
- Jamia Millia Islamia: Central university (Ranked No. 1)
- Delhi Technological University: State university
- Jawaharlal Nehru University: Central university
- Ambedkar University Delhi: State university
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University: State university
- National Law University: State law university
- Indira Gandhi National Open University: World's largest national university.
- Jamia Hamdard: Deemed university
Delhi boasts of being home to some of the top engineering colleges in India — IIT Delhi, NIT Delhi, Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, NSIT and Delhi Technological University (formerly DCE). Delhi also has several private and government engineering institutions, which are usually affiliated to the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) and a Faculty of Engineering under Jamia Millia Islamia University (a Central Univ).
Industrial training institutes and centres
Industrial training institute (ITI) and industrial training centres, constituted under the Ministry of Labour and Employment, provide diploma in technical fields. There are several ITIs in Delhi NCR. Normally a person who has passed 10 standard (SSLC) is eligible for admission to an ITI. The objective of opening of ITI is provide "technical manpower to industries".
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) is considered amongst the best medical research and treatment centres in India. Delhi has eight medical institutes, out of which six provide both undergraduate and postgraduate education in medicine while other two are researched based. These medical institutes are either affiliated to the University of Delhi or GGSIPU, only AIIMS is central based. Faculty of Dentistry (Jamia Millia Islamia University) and Maulana Azad Dental College (Delhi University) are some of the dental schools.
Primary and secondary education
Schools in Delhi are run either by government or private sector. They are affiliated to one of three education boards: the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), the Central Board for Secondary Education (CBSE) and the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS). As per the survey conducted in 2001, Delhi had some 2416 primary, 715 middle and 1576 secondary schools.
In 2004–05, approximately 1.5 million students were enrolled in primary schools, 822,000 in middle schools and 669,000 in secondary schools across Delhi. Female students represented 49% of the total enrolment. The same year, the Delhi government spent between 1.58% and 1.95% of its gross state domestic product on education.
There are several libraries in Delhi, which are either maintained by the government bodies or private organizations. Some of the major libraries in Delhi region are:
- IARI Library (Pusa)
- Zakir Hussain Central Library, Jamia Millia Islamia University
- American Centre Library
- British Council Library
- Delhi Public Library
- Delhi University Library
- Indian Council of Historical Research
- Indian Council of Social Science Research
- Maharaja Fatehsinhrao Gaekwad Library and Documentation Centre
- Max Mueller Bhavan
- National Archives of India
- National Science Library
- Ramakrishna Mission Library
- Russian Centre
- Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute
- Industrial training institute
- List of educational institutions in Delhi
- List of colleges under Delhi University
- "Directorate of Higher Education – About us". Government of Delhi. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- Sharma, p. 18
- "Directorate of Higher Education". Delhi.gov.in. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Central University Ranking". careerindia.com. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Update 245: Indian University Honors WIPO Director General". Listbox.wipo.int. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Asiaweek.com | Asia's Best Universities 2000 | Overall Ranking". Cgi.cnn.com. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- Gasskov, Vladimir; Ashwani Aggarwal, Anil Grover, Aswani Kumar and Q.L. Juneja (2003). INDUSTRIAL TRAINING INSTITUTES OF INDIA: THE EFFICIENCY STUDY REPORT. Geneva: InFocus Programme on Skills, Knowledge, and Employability (IFP/SKILLS), ILO. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- Malini Bhupta. "India Today – India's most widely read magazine". Indiatoday.digitaltoday.in. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- "Medical Meccas: An Oasis for India's Poorest | Newsweek Health for Life | Newsweek.com". Newsweek.com. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- "Delhi Education Guide, Education in Delhi, Schools, Colleges and Universities in Delhi". Delhicapital.com. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Chapter 15: Education" (PDF). Economic Survey of Delhi, 2005–06. Planning Department, Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi. pp. 173–187. Retrieved 21 December 2006.
- Ajay Kumar Sharma. A History of Educational Institutions in Delhi. Sanbun Publishers. ISBN 93-8021-314-X.
- Delhi Government
- Delhi Directorate of Education
- Education in Delhi
- Top 10 Engineering College of Delhi