Education in Pune
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
Education in Pune is some of the finest in India and has various types. Pune was called "The Oxford of the east" by Jawaharlal Nehru, India's first Prime Minister. Pune attracts students from all over the world.
Schools in Pune are either run by the PMC, in which case they are called public schools, or privately by trusts and individuals. Private schools have been preferred by a majority of city residents because of better facilities, and in some cases, for the use of English language as the medium of instruction. A number of Marathi medium schools are more than a century old, notable among them include Huzurpaga girls' school and New English School, which was started by Bal Gangadhar Tilak. All schools are affiliated either with the Maharashtra state SSC board or the all-India Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), CBSE or NIOS boards.
The University of Pune (formerly the University of Poona) was founded in 1949 is spread over a 400 acre (1.6 km²) campus. It is home to 46 academic departments. As of 2004, the university had 46 graduate departments, 269 affiliated colleges and 118 recognized research institutions, with an enrollment of 170,000 students for both the undergraduate and graduate courses in different faculties. Prominent affiliated colleges include the College of Engineering, Pune, established in 1854, it is the third oldest college in Asia; and the Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College.
Fergusson College (FC) is a degree college that was founded in 1885 by the Deccan Education Society and at that time was first privately governed college in India. It is known for its close association with Indian Politics, as it was the birthplace of Hindu Nationalism and the Indian Socialist movement.
Symbiosis International University (S.I.U) is a private co-educational, multi-institutional University located in Pune and has 19 Academic Institutions spread over 9 campuses in Pune, Nashik and Bengaluru.
Other major universities in Pune include the Bharati Vidyapeeth,Dnyaneshwar Vidyapeeth and the Sinhagad University.
There are several research institutes in Pune. The National Chemical Laboratory (NCL) a constituent member of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), India, was established in 1950. It employs more than 200 research scientists and about 400 graduate students. The interdisciplinary research centre has a wide research scope and specializes in polymer science, organic chemistry, catalysis and materials chemistry.
The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) is an autonomous institution set up by the University Grants Commission to promote nucleation and growth of active groups in astronomy and astrophysics in Indian universities. IUCAA is located in the University of Pune campus next to the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, which operates the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope. IUCAA has a spectacular campus designed by the renowned Indian architect, Charles Correa. Research at IUCAA spans a wide range of fields from classical and quantum gravity to instrumentation.
The Centre for Development Studies and Activities popularly known as the CDSA was established in 1976 to carry out pioneering work in Sustainable Development Planning. CDSA is a recognised research institute of the ICSSR and the University of Pune and is recognised by the University Grants Commission to teach Development Planning and Administration. It is affiliated to Pune University for its unique multi- disciplinary master's degree course. it is also recognised by the Council of Architecture to teach M.Arch in Development Planning and Administration. CDSA' s research focus is "action" research and designing generic methodologies for Sustainable Development Planning in Rural, Urban and Regional contexts. CDSA' s activities include working with National and State Governments, Bi lateral and Multi Lateral agencies such as the United Nations, DFID, World Bank, various NGOs and CBOs to ensure participatory, decentralised governance, operationalising the 73rd and 74th Constitutional Amendment Act, and conducting Citizen Empowerment workshops for capacity building. CDSA co founded the National Institute for Advanced Studies in Architecture (NIASA) with the Council of Architecture in 2004. CDSA's beautiful, serene, Eco sensitive, energy efficient campus was designed by its co founder Christopher Benninger and is one of the best examples of sustainable architecture.
Please verify the information about CDSA about recognition/affiliations. It is not recognised by AICTE nor the Council of Architecture is empowered to form or run NIASA.
The Indian Institute for Science Education and Research, Pune was established in 2006 to promote excellence in research and teaching in the basic sciences. IISER aims to combine teaching and undergraduate education with state-of-the-art scientific research.
National AIDS Research Institute, National Institute of Virology, National Centre for Cell Science are some of the research institutes working in the biological sciences. The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) operates India's most powerful supercomputers, the PARAM and Padma.
The Indian Institute of Cost and Management Studies & Research (IndSearch), Pune is an autonomous business school affiliated to the University of Pune & also a recognized research centre for the Ph.D . programme under the university of Pune. Established in 1973 by a group of conscientious academicians, the institute is among the pioneering institutes in Pune credited with being a part of creating and successfully running the Masters in Computer Management (MCM) post-graduate full time degree programme under the University of Pune. IndSearch hasm in the past carried out a variety of costing, accountancy & research projects for various Government, semi-Government & private organisations like the Comptroller & Auditor General of India, Yashada foundation etc.
Pune is the largest center for Japanese language learning in India. Pune has the country's largest number of Japanese Language Proficiency Test examinees; it is also the major location for training and recruitment of Japanese language teachers. Japanese language training has been provided by the University of Pune since 1978; since then, other private institutions and individuals have also jumped into the field.  Other languages such as German (Max Muller Bhavan) and French (Alliance française de Pune) are also popular amongst Punities. Dnyaneshwar Vidyapeeth gives Technical Education to Working professionals.
Education institutes dedicated to the defence forces
Pune is host to several excellent educational institutes specifically dedicated to Defence forces. They are:
- National Defence Academy — NDA, is located at Khadakwasla, on the outskirts of Pune. It is a joint services institution for training young cadets as future officers of the Defence Services. The motto of the Academy is 'Sewa Paramo Dharma (Service Before Self)'. Official Website.
- Institute of Armament Technology (IAT) [Recently renamed as Defence Institute of Armament Technology (DIAT)] was established in 1952 and moved to its current campus of Girinagar in 1967. It was made as a deemed University since 2000. Primary aim of this institute is to provide Higher Education in Science and Technology related to defence requirements in general and weapon systems in particular.
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) was set up in 1948 in the immediate post-world war period. AFMC is responsible for training of medical undergraduates and post-graduates, dental postgraduates, nursing cadets and paramedical staff. Patient care forms an integral part of its training curriculum and the attached hospitals benefits from the expertise available at AFMC. The institution is responsible for providing the entire pool of specialists and super specialists to Armed Forces by giving them in service training.
- College of Military Engineering (CME) located at Dapodi. The erstwhile School of Military Engineering (SME) established in September 1943 at Roorkee moved to its present location at Pune in 1948. It is a premier technical and tactical training institution of the Corps of Engineers encompassing the four pillars viz. Combat Engineers, Military Engineering Service, Border Roads Organisation and Survey.
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, located at Khadki, was established in 1993, under an MoU between The Ministry of Defence (Government of India) and Symbiosis Group (Now Symbiosis International Deemed University) primarily to enable Defence personnel and their dependents pursue Management Education.
- Army Institute of Technology (AIT) located at Dighi was established in August 1994. It was started with aim to provide Engineering education to the wards of Indian Army personnel.
- Army Institute of Physical Training (AIPT) formerly called the Army School of Physical Training (ASPT), located at Hadapsar was established in 1947. It is the cradle of physical and recreational training in the Army. It has training infrastructure to impart systematic and comprehensive instructions on physical training. Selected candidates from all ranks of the Army, students from the police, para-military forces and friendly foreign countries attend various courses on physical training and allied subjects at ASPT.
- "History of the University of Pune". Centre for Network Computing, University of Pune. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- History of Foundation[dead link]
- [dead link]
- Mane, Anuradha (2007-07-07). "When it comes to Japanese, Pune steals a march over metros". Indian Express. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- Thakur, Gaurav (2004-02-18). "Sayonara USA, Hello Japan". The Times of India. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- Educational institutes in Pune
- Education in Pune
- Design Education in Pune
- Technnovation Labs, Training in Technology