|Edward J. Gaffney|
|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives
from the 1st district
January 1, 2003
|Preceded by||Andrew Richner|
|Succeeded by||Tim Bledsoe|
December 23, 1943 |
Edward J. Gaffney (born December 23, 1943 in Hartford, Connecticut) was a Republican Michigan State Representative from Grosse Pointe Farms. He served in the state House between 2003 and 2008, and represented the Michigan's 1st state House district.
Early life and career
Gaffney holds a bachelor’s degree from Eastern Connecticut State University, a master’s of history from Michigan State University, a law degree from Thomas Cooley Law School and a master’s of law degree from Wayne State University
From 1991 to 2002, Gaffney was a member of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church of Grosse Pointe Woods.
Gaffney was a Director of the Michigan Center for Truck Safety. He has also served as a regional government affairs director for the American Automobile Manufacturers Association and as a legal counsel and research analyst for the Michigan Legislative Services Bureau.
Rep. Gaffney is married to Jane Gaffney and has three children: Ed, Corey and Jack.
From 1997-1999, Gaffney served on the City Council for the City of Grosse Pointe Farms, and was mayor pro-tem from 1997-1999. Gaffney was mayor of Grosse Pointe Farms from 1999-2003. He was elected to the Michigan State House of Representatives in 2002, and re-elected in 2004 and 2006. Under the term limits provisions of Michigan's Constitution, Gaffney is barred from seeking re-election in 2008.
- 2006 election for Michigan State House of Representatives - Michigan 1st District
Name Percent Edward J. Gaffney (R) (inc.) 52.1% Timothy Bledsoe (D) 46.2% Kristen Hammel (G) 1.7%
- 2004 election for Michigan State House of Representatives - Michigan 1st District
Name Percent Edward J. Gaffney (R) (inc.) 57.0% C.J. Harrison (D) 40.6% Andrea Lavigne (G) 2.4%
- 2002 election for Michigan State House of Representatives - Michigan 1st District
Name Percent Edward J. Gaffney (R) 56.4% David P. Putrycus (D) 43.6%%
- 2002 election for Michigan State House of Representatives - Michigan 1st District (Republican primary)
Name Percent Edward J. Gaffney 48.3% Mary Ellen Stempfle 40.8%% Eric J. Steiner 10.9%
- Michigan Legislative Service Bureau (2006). Michigan Manual 2005-2006. Lansing, MI: Legislative Council, State of Michigan. p. 195. ISBN 1-878210-06-8. Retrieved 2007-03-05.
- Michigan House Republicans (2007). "Biography for Representative Ed Gaffney". Archived from the original on 2006-11-08. Retrieved 2007-03-05.
- State Representative Ed Gaffney official site
- Michigan Bureau of Elections - Ed Gaffney campaign finance reports and data
- Michiganliberal.com - 1st Michigan State House District profile and discussion
|State Representative from Michigan's 1st District
2002 – Present