Sir Edward Hulse, 6th Baronet
Educated at Eton College and Brasenose College, Oxford, he was elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for Salisbury at the 1886 general election, and was returned to the House of Commons at the next two general elections. He resigned his seat on 16 January 1897 by becoming Steward of the Manor of Northstead.
Hulse held a commission in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry. With the outbreak of the Second Anglo-Boer War the Imperial Yeomanry was formed from contingents of the Yeomanry regiments. Hulse was posted to the 15th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry at the beginning of 1900 and served as a captain in South Africa, where he was mentioned in dispatches. His brother, Major Charles Westrow Hulse was killed in action during the war, and Sir Edward was himself severely injured in 1901.
He remained in South Africa after the war, where he acted as press censor. In his final months he was in financial difficulty, having lost considerable sums of money on the stock exchange and at horse races. He was also suffering considerable pain from his injuries. His body was discovered in his bedroom in Johannesburg on the morning of 30 May 1903 having committed suicide with his revolver.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Obituary". The Times. 1 June 1903. p. 4.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 181. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- Department of Information Services (9 June 2009). "Appointments to the Chiltern Hundreds and Manor of Northstead Stewardships since 1850" (PDF). House of Commons Library. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- "Person Page - 18980". ThePeerage,com A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "Sir Edward Hulse's Death". Poverty Bay Herald. 18 June 1903. p. 1. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Edward Hulse
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Salisbury
1886 – 1897
Augustus Henry Eden Allhusen
|Baronetage of Great Britain|
Edward Hamilton Westrow Hulse