Sir Edward Herbert Bunbury, 9th Baronet (8 July 1811 – 5 March 1895), known as Edward Bunbury until 1886, was a British Liberal Party politician.
Bunbury was the second son of Sir Henry Bunbury, 7th Baronet, and the grandson of Henry Bunbury. His mother was Louisa Emilia, daughter of General the Hon. Henry Edward Fox, younger son of Henry Fox, 1st Baron Holland, and his wife Lady Caroline Lennox, the eldest of the famous Lennox sisters. Through the latter he was a descendant of Charles II. He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge. In 1847 Bunbury was elected to the House of Commons for Bury St Edmunds, a seat he held until 1852. In 1886 he succeeded his elder brother in the baronetcy.
Bunbury died in March 1895, aged 83. He never married and was succeeded in the baronetcy by his nephew, Charles.
Bunbury's 2-volume history of ancient geography (whose full title is A History of Ancient Geography among the Greeks and Romans from the Earliest Ages till the Fall of the Roman Empire) published in 1879 is the first modern work in English which treats the textual sources with any sophistication.
- "Bunbury, Edward Herbert (BNBY829EH)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Freeman, Nicholas (2011). 1895: Drama, Disaster and Disgrace in Late Victorian Britain. Edinburgh University Press. p. 96.
- Smith 1854, p. iv.
- Smith, William, ed. (1854). "List of writers". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography I. London: John Murray. p. iv.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's list of baronets [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- Works written by or about Edward Herbert Bunbury at Wikisource
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Edward Bunbury
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
The Earl Jermyn
Lord Charles FitzRoy
|Member of Parliament for Bury St Edmunds
With: The Earl Jermyn
The Earl Jermyn
|Baronetage of England|
Charles James Fox Bunbury
(of Stanney Hall)
Henry Charles John Bunbury