Edward Hughes (exorcist)
Father Edward Albert Hughes (August 28, 1918 - October 12, 1980) was a Roman Catholic priest who served as an assistant pastor from June 16, 1948 to June 18, 1960 at St. James Church in Mt. Rainier, Maryland. He also served as an exorcist.
He attempted his first exorcism in 1949 at the Georgetown University Hospital on a thirteen-year-old Lutheran boy, Robbie Mannheim, who was referred by Rev. Luther Miles Schulze, the boy's Lutheran pastor. The exorcism was considered unsuccessful as the boy broke out of his restraints and used a spring from the bed to attack Hughes. The boy cut Father Hughes' arm from his shoulder to his wrist with the spring and the exorcism was ended. Years later Hughes recalled that the temperature of the room decreased when the boy entered it and that the boy growled at him while speaking Latin. He also stated that his telephone went flying off his desk. It was believed that the boy became possessed after using a Ouija board. William Peter Blatty was inspired by a newspaper article about this case to write his novel The Exorcist.
In 1973, Father Hughes returned to St. James Church and became pastor until his death of a heart attack on October 12, 1980.
- Evil: Satan, Sin, and Psychology, Terry D. Cooper, Cindy K. Epperson, page 24.
- "The Cold Hard Facts Behind the Story that Inspired "The Exorcist"". Strange Magazine. Retrieved 2007-12-31. "He turned out to be Reverend Luther Miles Schulze and in this article his experiences with the boy were reported in detail."
- A Faraway Ancient Country. Lulu. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- Evil: Satan, Sin, and Psychology, Terry D. Cooper, Cindy K. Epperson, page 25.
- The Dark Side of God: A Quest For the Lost Heart of Christianity, Douglas Lockhart, page 107.
- Washington Times, "Writers exorcise fiction from tale of demon possession, `Exorcist' based on saga of PG boy," October 12, 2000.
- Los Angeles Times, "Metamorphosis of 'The Exorcist'," Robert R. Kirsch, July 29, 1974, page E8.
- Movie 'Exorcist' Got It Right, Say Priests Who Cast Out Demons
- The St.Louis Exorcism Case!The Story that Became the Exorcist!
- Possessed: The True Story of an Exorcism, Thomas B. Allen, 1993, ISBN 0-553-47177-5
|This article about a Roman Catholic clergyman is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|