Edward J. Davila
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
March 3, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Marilyn Patel|
|Judge of the Santa Clara County Superior Court|
August 8, 2001 – March 3, 2011
|Appointed by||Gray Davis|
|Preceded by||Donald Clark|
|Succeeded by||Allison Danner|
|Born||1952 (age 61–62)
Palo Alto, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||San Diego State University
University of California, Hastings
Edward John Davila (born 1952) is a former judge on the Superior Court of California for Santa Clara County and is currently a judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. On February 14, 2011 the Senate confirmed his nomination by a vote of 93 ayes to 0 nays and he received his commission on March 3, 2011.
Early life and education
Davila was born in Palo Alto, California. He received a B.A. degree from San Diego State University in 1976. He then attended the University of California, Hastings College of the Law and earned his J.D. in 1979.
While a Superior Court judge, Davila presided over the high-profile case of a Las Vegas couple, Anna Ayala and Jaime Placencia, who planted a severed human finger in a bowl of Wendy's chili. On January 18, 2006, Davila sentenced Ayala to 9 years in prison and Placencia to 12 years and 4 months in prison.
During the 111th Congress, Senator Barbara Boxer recommended Davila to fill the United States District Court for the Northern District of California vacancy created when Marilyn Hall Patel assumed senior status. On May 20, 2010, President Barack Obama formally nominated Davila to the Northern District of California. Although the Senate Judiciary Committee recommended confirmation on December 1, 2010, the Senate recessed without confirming him.
Obama renominated Davila on January 5, 2011. That nomination was approved by the Judiciary Committee on February 3, and he was confirmed by the Senate on February 14 by a vote of 93 ayes to 0 nays. He received his commission on March 3, 2011.
Davila is married to Mary Greenwood, who formerly served as Santa Clara County Public Defender and is currently a judge of the Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara. They reside in Menlo Park, California.
- Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
- President Obama Names Three to United States District Court, whitehouse.gov (May 20, 2010).
- New judges named, Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal (August 8, 2001).
- Davis Appoints Commissioner, Attorney to Fill Vacancies on Santa Clara Superior Court, Metropolitan News-Enterprise (August 9, 2001).
- "Anna Ayala Faces New Charge". KLAS-TV news. Associated Press. May 13, 2005. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- Jonathan D. Glater, Couple Sentenced to Prison for Wendy's Chili Scheme, The New York Times (January 19, 2006).
- Bob Egelko, Obama nominates Edward Davila for federal bench, San Francisco Chronicle (May 21, 2010).
- Presidential Nomination no. PN1813-111, Edward J. Davila, of California, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of California, vice Marilyn Hall Patel, retired, May 20, 2010 (111th Congress)
- Mintz, Howard (December 1, 2010). "Edward Davila wins key senate endorsement for federal judge". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Mintz, Howard (February 3, 2011). "Santa Clara County judge Davila another step closer to joining federal bench". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Presidential Nomination no. PN21-112, Edward J. Davila, of California, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of California, vice Marilyn Hall Patel, retired, January 05, 2011 (112th Congress)
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California