|Member of the New Zealand Parliament
|Born||1 September 1825|
|Died||7 August 1894(aged 68)|
|Spouse(s)||Caroline Orsmond Jollie|
|Relations||Francis Jollie (brother)|
Edward Jollie (1 September 1825 – 7 August 1894) was a pioneer land surveyor in New Zealand, initially as a cadet surveyor with the New Zealand Company.
|Parliament of New Zealand|
Jollie was born in 1825. The family was from Brampton, Carlisle, England. His father was the Reverend Francis Jollie, and he was the fourth son. He followed his elder brother Francis to New Zealand, arriving on the barque Brougham in Wellington in 1842. Later he worked in the Wairau, and in Canterbury, where he laid out the new town of Christchurch in 1850.
Later he was briefly the first Member of Parliament for the Cheviot electorate 1859–1860, being elected in December 1859. In his diary, he says about his parliamentary career that "In the Assembly I voted with the Government, but only spoke once in a debate, and then briefly."
He farmed in Southbridge, Canterbury. He was active on the Canterbury Provincial Council from 1865 until the abolition of the provinces in 1876. He held several posts including Secretary of Public Works and Provincial Treasurer.
He lived with his wife, Caroline, six daughters and two sons in Europe from 1877 and when they returned to New Zealand in 1884 settled in Patea.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edward Jollie.|
- A. H. McLintock, ed. (22 April 2009). "JOLLIE, Francis". An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand. Ministry for Culture and Heritage / Te Manatū Taonga. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First ed. published 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. p. 260. OCLC 154283103.
- "Local Intelligence". Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle XIX (06). 21 January 1860. p. 2. Retrieved 6 June 2010.
- "9. Auckland: 1860-1861". Canterbury Heritage. Retrieved 6 June 2010.
- Holm, Janet (2005). Caught Mapping: The Life and Times of New Zealand’s Early Surveyors. Christchurch: Hazard Press. ISBN 1-877270-86-5.
|New Zealand Parliament|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Cheviot