Edward Jones (English architect)
|Edward Jones CBE|
St Albans, Hertfordshire
After schooling at Haileybury Jones trained at the Architectural Association where he met his future architectural partner Jeremy Dixon. They formed an informal practice in the mid sixties, which Peter Cook referred to as 'The Grunt Group' to promote the modernist agenda.
He has been professor of architecture in Europe and North America including UCD Dublin, Royal College of Art, the Architectural Association, and Universities of Toronto, Princeton, Harvard, Cornell, Rice.
He was in private practice from 1973 - 1989 in London and in Toronto Canada. In 1989 he co-founded the architectural practice Jeremy Dixon.Edward Jones with Jeremy Dixon, called Dixon Jones since 2003. In 1973 the pair came to the attention of the national press when their "Great Pyramid" competition winning scheme for Northamptonshire County Hall was exhibited in London.
In 2000, The Observer listed two of his practice's London buildings in the Top 10 Buildings of the Year: the National Portrait Gallery and the Royal Opera House. From 2002 to 2010 he was honorary professor at University of Cardiff. In 2001 he received an Honorary Doctorate from University of Portsmouth, and an Honorary Fellowship from University of Cardiff, and in December 2010 he received a CBE for services to architecture.
- Mississauga Civic Centre, Canada (1987)
- Darwin College Study Centre, Cambridge University (1993)
- National Portrait Gallery, London (2000)
- Royal Opera House, London (1999)
- Somerset House Masterplan, London (2001)
- Saïd Business School, Oxford (2001)
- Villa Jones, France (2005)
- Kings Place, London (2008)
- Exhibition Road Masterplan (2011)
- A Guide to the Architecture of London, by Edward Jones and Christopher Woodward (Weidenfeld and Nicolson) 1983, 4th edition 2009 ISBN 0-297-85516-6
- DIXON JONES, Right Angle Publishing Ltd, 2002 ISBN 0-9532848-2-4
- The Guardian Thursday 13 October 2005
- JONES, Edward David Brynmor’, Who's Who 2011, A & C Black, 2011; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2010
- Architectural Association
- The Telegraph 1 February 2003
- Dixon Jones website
- Design 301 January 1974
- The Times, Tuesday December 4, 1973; pg. 5; Issue 58955
- The Observer 24 December 2000
- Building Design 4 January 2011
- The Guardian Friday 5 May 2000
- The Guardian Friday 14 June 2002
- The Observer 9 September 2001
- The Times, Saturday June 29, 1985; pg. 29; Issue 62177