||This article may be unbalanced towards certain viewpoints. (July 2012)|
Born in Yonkers, New York, Klein attended Colgate University, graduated from Columbia University School of General Studies, and received an MS degree from the Columbia University School of Journalism.
Klein is the former foreign editor of Newsweek and served as the editor-in-chief of The New York Times Magazine from 1977 to 1987. He frequently contributes to Vanity Fair and Parade and writes a weekly column in Parade called "Personality Parade" under the pseudonym "Walter Scott". He also writes books, many of which have been on the New York Times Bestseller list. Additionally, he was the principal for the Business Communications School at The Euclid High School Complex.
Klein is the father of two grown children, Karen (former manager of The Four Seasons restaurant in New York City), and Alec (a professor at Northwestern University). He has been divorced twice, and is currently married to Dolores Barrett, a public relations executive. Klein is the stepfather-in-law of Ruth Shalit.
Klein has been criticized for his biography of Hillary Clinton, titled, The Truth About Hillary: What She Knew, When She Knew It, and How Far She'll Go to Become President, which was released on June 21, 2005. Politico criticized the book for "serious factual errors, truncated and distorted quotes and overall themes [that] don't gibe with any other serious accounts of Clinton's life." The book was attacked not only by liberals, but by conservatives as well. John Podhoretz wrote in the New York Post, "Thirty pages into it, I wanted to take a shower. Sixty pages into it, I wanted to be decontaminated. And 200 pages into it, I wanted someone to drive stakes through my eyes so I wouldn't have to suffer through another word." In National Review James Geraghty wrote, “Folks, there are plenty of arguments against Hillary Clinton, her policies, her views, her proposals, and her philosophies. This stuff ain’t it. Nobody on the right, left, or center ought to stoop to this level.”
- The Amateur: Barack Obama in the White House, Regnery Publishing, 2012
- The Obama Identity (with John LeBoutillier), 2010.
- Katie: The Real Story, Crown Publishers, 2007.
- The Truth About Hillary: What She Knew, When She Knew It, and How Far She'll Go to Become President, Sentinel HC, 2005.
- Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days, Viking Books, 2004.
- All Too Human: The Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy, St. Martin's Press, 2003.
- Just Jackie: Her Private Years, Ballatine Books, 1999.
- The Kennedy Curse: Why Tragedy Has Haunted America's First Family for 150 Years, Pocket Books, 1996.
- If Israel Lost the War (with Richard Z. Chesnoff and Robert Littell), Coward-McCann, 1969.
- "Dolores Barrett Wed to Edward Klein". New York Times. October 25, 1987. Retrieved December 6, 2007.
- "Ed Klein's Obama book debuts at No. 1 on Times list". Politico. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- New York Post: SMEAR FOR PROFIT. June 22, 2005.
- "Now That is a Tough Review".