Edward L. Deci
Edward L. Deci (pron.: //) is a Professor of Psychology and Gowen Professor in the Social Sciences at the University of Rochester, and director of its human motivation program. He is well known in psychology for his theories of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation and basic psychological needs. With Richard Ryan, he is the co-founder of self-determination theory (SDT), an influential contemporary motivational theory. Self-determination theory is a macro theory of human motivation that differentiates between autonomous and controlled forms of motivation; the theory has been applied to predict behavior and inform behavior change in many contexts including: education, health care, work organizations, parenting, and sport (as well as many others).
Dr. Deci is also Director of the Monhegan Museum (in Monhegan, Maine) where he spends his summers writing about psychology and art (though rarely at the same time).
Selected works 
- Deci, E.L. (1975). Intrinsic motivation. New York: Plenum Publishing Co. Japanese Edition, Tokyo: Seishin Shobo, 1980.
- Deci, E.L. (1980). The psychology of self-determination. Lexington, MA: D. C. Heath (Lexington Books). Japanese Edition, Tokyo: Seishin Shobo, 1985.
- Deci, Edward L.; & Ryan, Richard M. (1985). Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior. New York: Plenum. ISBN 0-306-42022-8.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2000). "The 'what' and 'why' of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior." Psychological Inquiry, 11, 227-268.
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2000). "Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being." American Psychologist, 55, 68-78.
- Deci, Edward L.; Richard Flaste (1996). Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation. Penguin. ISBN 0-14-025526-5
- Deci, Edward L. (2006). In Richard M. Ryan. The Handbook of Self-Determination Research. University of Rochester Press. ISBN 1-58046-156-5
See also 
- http://www.psych.rochester.edu/faculty/deci/—University of Rochester Faculty Page
- http://www.psych.rochester.edu/SDT/faculty/edeci.html—List of Deci's published articles concerning SDT
- http://www.psych.rochester.edu/SDT/—Self-determination Theory Website
- Edward, Deci. "Edward Deci on Self-Determination Theory".
|This biography of an American psychologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|