Edward Livingston Wilson
Edward Livingston Wilson (1838-1903) was an American photographer, writer and publisher. In Philadelphia in the 1860s he worked for Frederick Gutekunst and in 1864 he began the Philadelphia Photographer magazine. He served as an energetic officer of the National Photographic Association of the United States. In 1869 he joined the "Eclipse Expedition" in Iowa overseen by Henry Morton, and in 1881 travelled to the Middle East. In New York City he published Wilson's Photographic Magazine starting in 1889. Collaborators included Michael F. Benerman and William H. Rau. Readers included Edward S. Curtis.
- Sarah J. Weatherwax (2008). "Edward Livingston Wilson". In John Hannavy. Encyclopedia of 19th century photography. Routledge.
- "Edward Livingstone Wilson". The Photographic Times and American Photographer. July 6, 1888.
- Michael Fields[?] Benerman. (cf. Philadelphia City Directory. 1867.)
- Timothy Egan (2012), Short nights of the Shadow Catcher: the epic life and immortal photographs of Edward Curtis, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, ISBN 9780618969029
Works by Wilson
- Written, photographed, and/or edited by Wilson
- Edward L. Wilson, ed. (1864-). Photographic Mosaics: an Annual Record of Photographic Progress. Philadelphia: Edward L. Wilson. Check date values in:
- "Philadelphia Photographer". Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson. 1864–1888. OCLC 6286613.
- Edward L. Wilson (1868). American Carbon Manual. New York: Scovill.
- Edward L. Wilson (1881), Wilson's Photographics: a Series of Lessons, Philadelphia: Edward L. Wilson
- Edward L. Wilson (May 1887). "Finding Pharaoh". Century Magazine 34.
- Edward L. Wilson (1887), Wilson's quarter century in photography, New York: Edward L. Wilson, OCLC 2948182
- "Wilson's Photographic Magazine". New York: Edward L. Wilson. 1889–1914.
- Edward L. Wilson (1890), In Scripture Lands: new views of sacred places, New York: C. Scribner's Sons, OCLC 3891540. Includes photos of Jerusalem, Petra, Thebes, Tiberias.
- W. T. Wilkinson (1895), Photo-engraving, photo-etching, and photo-lithography in line and half-tone (6th ed.), New York: Edward L. Wilson
- Other authors published by Wilson
- James Newman (1866), M. Carey Lea, ed., Newman's manual of harmonious coloring, as applied to photographs, Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson, OCLC 261261955
- George B. Ayres (1871), How to paint photographs in water colors and in oil; also, how to retouch negatives, Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson
- A.K.P. Trask (1872), Trask's practical ferrotyper, Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson
- Hermann Wilhelm Vogel (1873), Photographer's pocket reference-book and dictionary, Translated by Edward F. Moelling, Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson
- Charles W. Hearn (1874), The practical printer: a complete manual of photographic printing, Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson
- Lyman G Bigelow (1876). Artistic photography and how to attain it. Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson.
- Robert J. Chute (1876), The Centennial photographic diary, Philadelphia: Benerman & Wilson, OCLC 3860149
Works about Wilson
- Oscar Fay Adams (1904), "Wilson, Edward Livingstone", Dictionary of American Authors, Houghton, Mifflin and Company
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edward Livingston Wilson.|
- U.S. Library of Congress. Works by Wilson
- New York Public Library. Works by Wilson
- Princeton University Library. Blog post about Wilson.