Edward Lucas (journalist)
Edward Lucas (born 3 May 1962) is a British journalist.
Lucas works for The Economist, the London-based global newsweekly. He was the Moscow bureau chief from 1998 to 2002, and thereafter the central and east European correspondent. He has also been a correspondent for The Independent and the BBC. Lucas also writes occasionally for The Daily Mail.
Education and early work
He was educated at Winchester College and the London School of Economics (being a member of its University Challenge team in 1984) and studied Polish at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow. His father is the Oxford philosopher John Lucas.
Lucas has contributed to several books, including Why I am still an Anglican (Continuum 2006). Lucas's own book, The New Cold War, appeared in 2008. Newsweek stated that "Lucas has built a very strong case for the prosecution [of Vladimir Putin]. And, on all too many of the counts in his indictment, the defendant looks smugly guilty". The Sunday Telegraph called it the best portrait to date of the mentality of Putin's ruling class. The Independent wrote: "His book's urgency is fueled by the belief that, while the Russian bear has been sharpening its claws, the West has slept. Our first mistake, he argues, is ever to have regarded Russia as "normal". Our second has been to take our eyes off the ball, so obsessed with the "war on terror" that we have failed to understand the implications of Kremlin policy and pronouncements, as personified by Vladimir Putin." The book received praise from Vladimir Bukovsky, Mart Laar and Oleg Gordievsky, and criticism from John Laughland and Alexander Zaitchik.
- The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West , Palgrave Macmillan (19 February 2008), ISBN 0-230-60612-1.
- Deception: The Untold Story of East-West Espionage Today, Walker & Company (19 June 2012), ISBN 978-0802711571
- Economist.com journalist listing - Edward Lucas
- The New Cold Warrior. Newsweek.
- The last Russian, and the next. The Telegraph. 21 March 2008.
- The New Cold War, By Edward Lucas: Why the West must wake up to the threat posed by Putin and the Kremlin. Reviewed by Virginia Rounding. 7 February 2008
- Edward Lucas's Cold War Hustle The eXile, 19 November 2007
- Predictable Response: Russia's Critics on Medvedev's Victory John Laughland, Brussels Journal, 07/93/2008
- New Cold War. Robert Collins. The Observer, 22 February 2009
- Cristina Odone (31 October 2009). "The stepmothers' survival guide". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 February 2012.