Edward Maisel (August 16, 1937 – March 21, 2008) He was born in Buffalo, New York. He went to Harvard University where he graduated Magna Cum Laude; he was also Phi Beta Kappa. He was an internationally known writer on music and t'ai chi. He lived in New York City for most of his life.
He wrote Charles T. Griffes: the Life of an American Composer, the first definitive and still influential biography of this major early American composer. The CD The Songs of Charles T. Griffes was produced by Mr. Maisel. The Kennedy Center's Terrace Theater presented Mr. Maisel's production of Griffes' final but unfinished masterpiece Salut au Monde.
Mr. Maisel wrote the classic Yang form of t'ai chi using the title Tai Chi for Health. The book was published in the early 60s and is probably the original introduction to the movement art to Western enthusiasts. His wife, Betty Cage, an administrator at the New York City Ballet, operated a t'ai chi class at the affiliated School of American Ballet until her death in 1999. Maisel was Director of the American Physical Fitness Research Institute and a consultant to the President's Council on Physical Fitness.
In his book Dr. America: the lives of Thomas Anthony Dooley III, James T. Fisher acknowledges receipt of copies of medical files from Maisel on suspected cases of AIDS prior to 1980 (e. g. 1968 U. S. AIDS virus infection documentation). Maisel obtained the files from Robert Galagan, MD, Hawaii.
- "Paid Notice: Deaths: Maisel, Edward". New York Times. March 30, 2008.
- Maisel, Edward Charles Griffes: the Life of an American Composer, Alfred A. Knopf, 1984 ISBN 0-394-54081-6
- Maisel, Edward Tai Chi for Health, Dell Publishing Co. Inc., 1963 ISBN BOOOUCDZ3M
- Maisel, Edward The Resurrection of the Body, Dell Publishing Co. Inc., 1969 ISBN 0-440-57374-2
- James T. Fisher Dr. America, p. 288, University of Massachusetts Press, 1998 ISBN 978-1-55849-154-0
- F. M. Alexander Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual Introduction by Professor John Dewey, E. P. Dutton & Co., 1923 ISBN 0-913111-11-2
- Cheng Man-ching & Robert W. Smith Tai Chi, Charles E. Tuttle Co., 1967 ISBN 0-8048-0560-1
- Cheng Man-ching 13 Chapters on Tai Chi Chuan, Sweet Chi Press, 1982 ISBN 0-912059-00-1
- Inventory of the Charles Griffes Collection at The New York Public Library
- Charles Griffes CD
- The Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique
- Tai Chi Chuan Web
- Yang Tai Chi Chuan DVD on YouTube
- Yang Tai Chi Chuan Past Grandmaster on YouTube