||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
8 April 1923|
Quaker Road, Cork City, County Cork, Ireland
|Died||24 May 1997
Los Angeles, California, USA
Cause of death
Edward Mulhare (8 April 1923 – 24 May 1997) was an Irish actor whose career spanned four decades.
Early life and career
Born at 22 Quaker Road, Cork City, County Cork, Ireland, and educated by the Christian Brothers, Mulhare intended to study medicine, but was sidetracked by a growing interest in acting. After acting in various Irish venues including the Gate Theatre in Dublin, he moved to London, where he worked with Orson Welles and John Gielgud.
His first television appearance was in 1956 in a production of The Adventures of Robin Hood. He was a guest panelist in 1958 on the CBS television game show What's My Line? By 1965, he was back in Hollywood appearing in films and television shows. He earned a role in the films Von Ryan's Express in 1965, Our Man Flint in 1966, and Caprice in 1967. He guest starred in television programs, including the Twelve O'Clock High episode "Siren Voices" as Luftwaffe Colonel Kurt Halland. He also guest-starred in "Experiment In Terra," an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica.
In The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, a supernatural sitcom that ran from 1968 to 1970, he again was something of a successor to Rex Harrison, who had originated the role of "The Ghost" in the original 1947 film. In Knight Rider (both the original 1980s television series and a 1991 TV film), he played Devon Miles, who was broadly speaking the hero's boss. (In the 1991 TV film, Mulhare's character of Miles was killed.)
In the middle 1980s, Mulhare hosted the television series Secrets & Mysteries, also called Secrets of the Unknown, a magazine show that examined historical mysteries and the paranormal.
The Team Knight Rider episode "K.R.O.," broadcast 27 October 1997, is dedicated to Edward Mulhare's memory.
- Giv'a 24 Eina Ona (1955) .... James Finnegan
- The Adventures of Robin Hood .... (1956) .... Various
- The Outer Limits (ABC-TV): "The Sixth Finger" (1963) .... Professor of Genetics
- Mr. Novak (NBC-TV, 1963): "He Who Can Does" .... Rand Hardy
- Signpost to Murder (1964) .... Dr. Mark Fleming
- Von Ryan's Express (1965) .... Capt. Costanzo
- Daniel Boone (1965) (TV series) ....Season 2, Episode 1 "Empire of the Lost"....Colonel Worthing
- Our Man Flint (1966) .... Malcolm Rodney
- Caprice (1967) .... Sir Jason Fox
- Eye of the Devil (1967) .... Jean-Claude Ibert
- The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (1968) TV Series .... Capt. Daniel Gregg
- Gidget Grows Up (1969) (TV) .... Alex MacLaughlin
- The Streets of San Francisco (ABC-TV series season 1 episode 5) Tower Beyond Tragedy (1972).... Amory Gilliam, (season 3 episode 6) One Chance To Live (1974).... Brian Downing
- Hunter (1977) (TV series)...Season 1, Episode 1 "Bluebird is Back"
- Megaforce (1982) .... Byrne-White
- Knight Rider (1982) TV Series .... Devon Miles
- MacGyver (1986) TV series .... Guy Roberts
- B-17: The Flying Fortress (1987) (voice) .... Narrator
- Secrets & Mysteries (1988) TV series .... Host
- Knight Rider 2000 (1991) .... Devon Miles
- Hart to Hart: Secrets of the Hart (1995) (TV)
- Out to Sea (1997) .... Cullen Carswell
- Baywatch Nights (1997) .... Dr. Lancaster (1 episode)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edward Mulhare.|