Edward Quinn (Irish: Éamonn Ó Cuinn) (1920-1997) was born in Ireland. He lived and worked as a photographer from the 1950s, on the Côte d'Azur, during the "golden fifties" the playground of the celebrities from the world of show biz, art and business.
The rich and the famous came to the French Riviera to relax. But the movie stars knew how much their off-screen image counted; Quinn was at the right place at the right time, making spontaneous images which caught their charm, sophistication and chic. Amongst celebrities captured on film by Quinn were Grace Kelly, Brigitte Bardot, Marlon Brando, Sophia Loren, Aristotle Onassis, Maria Callas, Winston Churchill, and Somerset Maugham.
In 1951 Edward Quinn met and photographed Pablo Picasso for the first time. Their friendship lasted until Picasso's death in 1973. This encounter with Picasso was to be greatly influential to Quinn himself and to his subsequent work. Quinn is the author of several books and films about Picasso.
In the late 1980s an intense relationship, similar to his friendship with Picasso, linked Quinn to Georg Baselitz.
From 1992 until his death in 1997, Edward Quinn lived near Zürich with his Swiss wife Gret, who now manages the extensive photo archive.
- 2012: Edward Quinn. Pablo Picasso. Photography Monika Mohr Galerie, Hamburg, Germany
- 2012: ICH UND ICH UND ICH. Photo Portraits of Picasso. (Group Exhibition). Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, Hamburg, Germany
- 2012: CONMIGO, YO MISMO, YO. Museo Picasso Malaga. Retratos fotográficos de Pablo Picasso. (Group Exhibition).
- 2011: MEMYSELFANDI (ICHUNDICHUNDICH) . Photo Portraits of Picasso. (Group Exhibition). Museum Ludwig, Köln
- 2010: Edward Quinn - Riviera Cocktail. Leica Galerie Frankfurt. Rahn Foto & Fine Art
- 2010: The Picasso Story. Humboldt Carrée, Berlin
- 2009: Edward Quinn: Stars and Cars. ZeitHaus, Autostadt Wolfsburg.
- 2009: Le Geste Picasso. (Group Exhibition). La Galerie d'art du Conseil Général des Bouches du Rhône, Aix en Provence.
- 2009: Stars and Cars von Edward Quinn. Reygers Galerie für Photographie. Munich
- 2009: Edward Quinn, Stars and Cars of the '50s. Photography Monika Mohr Galerie. Hamburg.
- 2009: Pablo Picasso - Kreativität und Schaffensfreude. Clemens-Sels-Museum, Neuss/Germany
- 2008: Golden Fifties - Photographien von Edward Quinn. Kunst im Palais am Lenbachplatz, Credit Suisse, Munich
- 2008: Pigozzi and the Paparazzi with Salomon, Weegee, Galella and Quinn. (Group Exhibition). Helmut Newton Foundation, Berlin
- 2008: Edward Quinn. Riviera Cocktail. Suite 59, Maastricht/NL 2008
- 2008: Edward Quinn - Riviera Cocktail. Ludwig Museum, Koblenz/Germany
- 2008: Picasso & Women. (Group Exhibition). Arken Museum, DK
- 2007: Edward Quinn – The Rich and Famous. Vintage and Later Prints. Galerie Boisserée, Koeln.
- 2007: Ikonen der Leinwand. (Group Exhibition). Ernst Barlach Museum, Wedel, Germany
- 2007: Edward Quinn. A day’s work. Vintage Prints. Michael Hoppen Gallery, London
- 2007: Edward Quinn and Picasso, Paintings and Photos. Galerie Pels-Leusden, Zurich,
- 2006: Edward Quinn - Riviera Cocktail. Galerie Abbt Projects, Zurich
- 2006: Edward Quinn. Photographing Hollywood during the Golden Fifties on the French Riviera. Scalo Guye Gallery, Los Angeles
- 2006: Edward Quinn, Riviera Cocktail. Die 50er-Jahre an der Côte d’Azur. Photography Monika Mohr Galerie, Hamburg, Germany