Edward Roderick Davies
|Edward Roderick Davies|
|Mayor of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan|
– c. 1960s
|Born||June 2, 1915
Caerau, Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
|Died||September 8, 1992 (Age 77)
Stuart, Martin County, Florida, United States
|Spouse(s)||Lois (Pottinger) Davies|
|Children||Daughter: Ann (Davies) Romney
Sons: Jim Davies, Rod Davies
|Residence||Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
Later, Stuart, Martin County, Florida, United States
|Alma mater||General Motors Institute of Technology|
|Positions||Co-founder, Jered Industries, 1946|
Edward Roderick Davies (June 2, 1915 – September 8, 1992) was a self-made industrialist.
Davies was born on June 2, 1915 into a Welsh coal mining family. In 1929 he immigrated to the United States with his father David Davies who had black lung disease and had been injured in a mining accident. David worked at a Ford plant and paid for his wife, Annie Davies, and son, Edward, to come thereafter. In 1938, Edward graduated from General Motors Institute of Technology in 1938 with a degree in engineering and, after serving a stint in the U.S. Naval Engineering corps, in 1946 he co-founded a maker of heavy equipment for marine use, Jered Industries. Some sources have suggested that Jered helped to engineer the landing craft used for the D-Day invasion of Normandy, though this is unlikely as Jered was not founded until well after D-Day. Davies—who had also worked with the NASA's Gemini space program and served as the mayor of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan—was the father of Ann Romney.
He died on September 8, 1992.
Davies rejected religion and was an avowed atheist. He was known to call organized religion "hogwash" and "drudgery".
On February 3, 2012, he was ceremonially "un-baptised" by American comedian Bill Maher, in order to make a point about atheism (the rejection or suspension of belief in any gods) not being a religion.
Davies' U.S. patents include:
- an automated window washing for high-rises
- yacht fin stabilizers
- a high performance golf cart
- a scuba spear gun
- a lawn sprinkler
- Swidey, Neil; Paulson, Michael (June 24, 2007), The Making of Mitt Romney, Boston Globe, Part 1: Privilege, tragedy, and a young leader
- Sanchez, Raf (January 6, 2012). "US election 2012: Ann Romney's Welsh connection". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Jered LLC | Marine Equipment, Cargo Handling | PaR Systems". Par.com. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Williamson, David (2012-06-07). "Could Welsh miner's granddaughter Ann Romney be next US First Lady? - Need to Read - News". WalesOnline. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Ann Romney's Welsh ancestry explored". BBC News. January 5, 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Jered LLC | Marine Equipment, Cargo Handling | PaR Systems". Par.com. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "HBO: Real Time with Bill Maher: Ep 236 February 3, 2012".