Edward Simon (musician)
Simon was born into a musical family; both his brothers, Marlon and Michael Simon are also noted professional musicians. His father sent him to the United States at the age of fifteen to study classical piano at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia with Susan Starr, and following this with Harold Danko at the Manhattan School of Music from 1989, As a student he played with Kevin Eubanks and Greg Osby.
In New York City he played with musicians such as Herbie Mann, Paquito D'Rivera, Bobby Hutcherson, Jerry Gonzalez, John Patitucci, Arturo Sandoval, Manny Oquendo, and Don Byron. He was a member of Bobby Watson's band Horizon from 1989 to 1994, and since 2002 a member of the Terence Blanchard Group. He recorded his first album as a bandleader in 1994. In the same year he was a finalist in the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Piano Competition. Then the following year he composed his Rumba Neurotica for the Relache Ensemble. He also composed his Venezuelan Suite on behalf of Chamber Music America.
Simon has played on several Grammy-nominated jazz albums. Besides his trio he also leads the Sexteto Venezuela, the Afinidad Quartet, and the group Simon, Simon & Simon, with his brothers. He teaches at the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music in New York.
Simon is currently an artist in residence at Western Michigan University.
- Beauty Within with Horacio Hernández, Anthony Jackson, Diego Urcola (Sledgehammer Blues (formerly AudioQuest Music)), 1993)
- Edward Simon with Larry Grenadier, Adam Cruz, Mark Turner, Milton Cardona (Kokopelli Records, 1995)
- La Bikina with Adam Cruz, Ben Street, Mark Turner, David Binney, Pernell Saturnino, Diego Urcola, Milton Cardona (Mythology Records, 1998)
- Afinidad with David Binney, Scott Colley, Brian Blade, Adam Cruz, Lucia Pulido, Adam Rogers (2001)
- The Process with John Patitucci, Eric Harland (Criss Cross Jazz, 2002)
- Fiestas de Agosto with David Binney, Donny McCaslin (Red Records, 2003)
- Simplicitas with Avishai Cohen, Adam Cruz, Luciana Souza, Adam Rogers, Pernell Saturnino (Criss Cross Jazz, 2005)
- Unicity with John Patitucci, Brian Blade (Camjazz, 2005)
- Océanos with David Binney, Scott Colley, Brian Blade, Luciana Souza, Adam Rogers, Shane Endsley, Jesse Newman, Alan Ferber, Pernell Saturnino (2007)
- Poesia with John Patitucci, Brian Blade (2009)
- Danny Boy with Philip Donkin, Stephen Keogh (2010)
- Trio Live in New York at Jazz Standard with John Patitucci, Brian Blade (2013)
With Greg Osby
- "Beauty Within". Valley Entertainment-Sledgehammer Blues. Retrieved 17 June 2010.