Edward Villiers (1620–1689)
Sir Edward Villiers (1620 – 2 July 1689) was a British officer from the Villiers family. He was the fourth son of Sir Edward Villiers and Barbara St. John, half-nephew to George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham. Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, considered him to be a man of "diligence and dexterity" and referred to him as "honest Ned".
He became a colonel, having served against the Scots in 1640 and he was wounded at the First Battle of Newbury in 1643. He was also employed to carry confidential dispatches and served under Sir Richard Willys as governor of Newark before Lord John Belasyse was appointed in his place.
After the end of the First English Civil War, he was implicated in a plot to assist the escape of the Duke of York (the later James II) but was not convicted and took no part in the Second English Civil War and lived abroad, 1649 to 1652.
Marriage and Family
He married Frances Howard, herself the youngest daughter of Theophilus Howard, 2nd Earl of Suffolk and Elizabeth Hume. She was appointed governess to the Princesses Mary and Anne, daughters of James II. They had the following children:
- Anne Villiers (d. 30 November 1688) married William Bentinck, 1st Earl of Portland (1649–1709) on 1 February 1678
- Katherine Villiers married firstly Louis James le Vasseur, Marquis de Puissar (d. 1701) on 20 July 1685. She married secondly William Villiers (d. 7 September 1723) son of George Villiers, 4th Viscount Grandison of Limerick and Lady Mary Leigh, in 1702.
- Henry Villiers (d. 18 August 1707). Father of Henry Villiers (d. 1753) and Catherine Villiers (d. 1764), who married John Craster, Esq. on 17 January 1727.
- Mary Villiers (d. 17 Apr 1753) married William O'Brien, 3rd Earl of Inchiquin, son of William O'Brien, 2nd Earl of Inchiquin and Lady Margaret Boyle, in April 1691.
- Henrietta Villiers (d. 1 Feb 1720) married John Campbell, 2nd Earl of Breadalbane and Holland, son of John Campbell, 1st Earl of Breadalbane and Holland, and Lady Mary Rich, on 23 May 1695. They had one son and two daughters.
- Barbara Villiers married John Berkeley, 4th Viscount Fitzhardinge (1650-19 December 1712) They had two daughters.
- Elizabeth Villiers (1657 - 9 April 1733) married George Hamilton, 1st Earl of Orkney (1666-1736/37) on 25 November 1695.
- Edward Villiers, 1st Earl of Jersey (1656–1711) married Barbara Chiffinch, daughter of William Chiffinch, on 17 December 1681. They had one son and one daughter.
- Royalist Conspiracy in England 1649-1660, David Underdown, Yale University Press, 1960, pages 81 to 82.