Yarnold was born 14 January 1926 in Kingston-upon-Thames, and brought up in Leeds, where he attended St Michael's College. In 1943 Yarnold became a member of Society of Jesus in St Beuno's, North Wales. He then studied classics at Campion Hall in Oxford and philosophy and theology at Heythrop College. In 1960 Yarnold was ordained as a priest, and then taught Latin and Greek at his former school, St Michael's. In 1964 he returned to the University of Oxford and from 1965 he held the office of Master of Campion Hall for 12 years till 1972. He died in Oxford on 23 July 2002.
- Master of Campion Hall (1965 - 1972)
- Chairman of the University Faculty Board of Theology
- Oxford Doctor of Divinity
- President of the Catholic Theological Association of Great Britain (1986 - 1988)
- General Editor of the Theology Today series
- Co-editor of The Study of Liturgy
- Member of the Ecumenical Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary
List of works
- The Theology of Original Sin (1971)
- The Awe-Inspiring Rites of Initiation (1972)
- The Study of Liturgy, co-editor (1978)
- They Are in Earnest (1982)
- Eight Days With The Lord (1984)
- The Study of Spirituality, co-editor (1986)
- In Search of Unity (1989)
- Time For God (1991)
- Anglicans and Roman Catholics in Search of Unity, co-editor (1994)
- The Independent on Sunday 15 August 2002, Obituaries: The Rev Edward Yarnold
- "Death of Fr Edward Yarnold SJ, distinguished theologian".
- "Books by Edward Yarnold".
- "Biography of Edward Yarnold".