The mosaic of St. Matthew from St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington DC.
Edwin Howland Blashfield (December 5, 1848 – October 12, 1936) was an American painter and muralist of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. He studied painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts after initial coursework in engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He moved to Europe in 1867 to study with Léon Joseph Florentin Bonnat in Paris and remained abroad until 1881, traveling, painting, and exhibiting his work in salon shows. His academic background in painting and extensive travels in Italy to study fresco painting melded in work marked by delicacy and beauty of coloring. Following his early success as a genre painter, Blashfield became a widely admired muralist whose work ornamented the dome of the Manufacturers' and Liberal Arts building at the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, in Chicago, several state capitols, and the central dome of the Library of Congress. He was a member of numerous arts organizations, including the National Academy of Design, the Society of Mural Painters, the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and the National Institute of Arts and Letters. Blashfield served as President of the National Academy of Design from 1920-1926. Among his many honors, Blashfield was awarded a Gold Medal by the National Academy of Design in 1934, an honorary membership in the American Institute of Architects, and an honorary doctorate of fine arts by New York University in 1926. He served on the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts from 1912 to 1916. His circle of friends included sculptor Daniel Chester French, painters John Singer Sargent and Maxfield Parrish, and architect Cass Gilbert. His style was influenced by Pierre Puvis de Chavannes, Jean-Paul Laurens, and Paul Baudry. With his wife he wrote Italian Cities (1900) and translated Vasari's Lives of the Painters (4 vols., 1897), and was well known as a lecturer and writer on art. He became president of the Society of Mural Painters, and of the Society of American Artists.
- in Atlanta, Georgia
- in Chicago
- in Washington D.C.
- the Iowa State Capitol at Des Moines, Iowa
- the Minnesota State Capitol at St. Paul, Minnesota
- the Governor's office in Pierre, South Dakota
- the Wisconsin State Capitol at Madison, Wisconsin
- the federal courthouse in Baltimore
- the Mahoning County Court House, Youngstown, Ohio
- the Detroit Public Library
- in New York City
- in Philadelphia
- the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Many paintings by the artist are present, including "North Wall Alma Mater", "South Wall Right Panel Humanity", "North Wall Left Panel Angels in Trees", et al., all painted 1923-1930.
A mural by him is located in the Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse, Cleveland, Ohio
- ^ Thomas E. Luebke, ed., Civic Art: A Centennial History of the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Commission of Fine Arts, 2013): Appendix B, p. 540.
- ^ "Panel in Lawyer's Club, Equitable Building, New York City", 1895, Smithsonian Institution. The Lawyers' Club had been in the old Equitable Building which was destroyed by fire in 1912. This mural by Blashfield was from that building. The new location of The Lawyers' Club was at 115 Broadway in the United States Realty Building.
- ^ Lawyers' Club's Sumptous New Home Ready This Week", New York Times, September 15, 1912, Sunday.
- ^ "New Book on Edwin Blashfield features CCNY Mural", Press Release, City College of New York, Thursday, Sep 17, 2009
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Blashfield, Edwin Howland". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press
- "Blashfield, Edwin Howland". New International Encyclopedia. 1900.
- Cortissoz, Royal, introduction, The Works of Edwin Howland Blashfield, Charles Scribner's Sons, New York 1937
- The Works of Edwin Howland Blashfield", Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museum, The Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C.
- Blashfield, Edwin, Mural Painting in America: The Scammon Lectures Delivered Before the Art Institute of Chicago, March 1912, New York : C. Scribner’s sons, 1913.
- Vasari, Giorgio; Blashfield, Edwin, (editor) Lives of seventy of the most eminent painters, sculptors and architects, Volume 4, New York : C. Scribner's sons, 1902
- Weiner, Mina Rieur, (editor), Edwin Howland Blashfield: Master American Muralist, New York : W.W. Norton, 2009. ISBN 978-0-393-73281-8