Cheney commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to build his family a house in Oak Park. Wright engaged in a love affair with Edwin's wife Mamah, with whom he went to Europe. Upon their return, Mamah moved into Taliesin, the new house Wright was building for them, while it was still under construction. For reasons unknown at the time, Julian Carlton, a domestic servant, killed Mamah and her two children, John and Martha, who happened to be visiting (Edwin still had primary custody). Four others were also murdered during this event, and Carlton, following ingestion of acid in an apparent suicide attempt, died before being tried.
- "St. Louis Obituary Index". St. Louis Public Library. Retrieved 2007-01-13.
- "BBC News - WALES - Mystery of the murders at Taliesin". News.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- Frank Lloyd Wright biography by author of "The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion"
- Cheney House article from the Oak Park Tourist Website
- Frank Lloyd Wright genealogy (partial)