|Alma mater||London School of Economics|
Effie Pedaliu is Fellow at LSE IDEAS. She specializes in international history; the Cold War; Mediterranean Security; British and American Cold War diplomacy and strategy. She has also written on Italian and Greek History; Human Rights; Transatlantic relations and Italian war crimes.
Effie Pedaliu obtained PhD in International History at London School of Economics.
- From 1990 to 1994, she was lecturer in International History at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
- From 1995 to 1997, she was Jean Monnet Fellow in European History at Luton University.
- From 1997 to 2002, she was lecturer in International History at King's College London.
- From 2003 to 2012, she was senior lecturer in International History at the University of the West of England.
- From 2012 to date, she is Fellow at LSE IDEAS.
Pedaliu helped in the organisation and declassification of important documents held by the Greek Foreign Ministry which throw new light on the origins of the Cold War. These were compiled and published in the three volume Greece at the Cutting Edge of a New World series: The Cold War, The Truman Doctrine, The Marshall Plan', published in Documents of the Greek Foreign Ministry, 1943–51, Vols. 1-3, Kastaniotis, Athens, March 2002.
Pedaliu has commented on CNN on many occasions on issues pertaining to Greece, Italy, the Balkans, and the EU. She has also given interviews and advice to Canadian News, Sky News, the Nikkei Financial Times and Gazeta Wyborcza on the above issues.
- 2003 Effie G.H.Pedaliu, Britain, Italy and the Origins of the Cold War, Houndmills, Palgrave/Macmillan.
- 2013 John W.Young, Effie G.H.Pedaliu, Michael D.Kandiah, Britain in Global Politics From Churchill to Blair, Volume II, Palgrave/Macmillan.
- 2013 ‘Transatlantic Relations at a Time When “More Flags” Meant “No European Flags”: The US, its European Allies and the War in Vietnam, 1964-1974’, International History Review, Vol. 35 (3). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07075332.2013.795492#.UiIJ4adwZdg
- 2011‘ “A Discordant Note”: NATO and the Greek Junta, 1967-74’, Diplomacy and Statecraft, Vol. 22 (1). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09592296.2011.549745#.Uq4CnSfYot0
- 2009 "A Sea of Confusion": The Mediterranean and Détente, 1969-1974’, Diplomatic History, Vol. 33 (4).
- 2007 Human Rights and Foreign Policy: Wilson and the Greek Dictators, 1967-1970, Diplomacy and Statecraft, Vol. 18, (1).
- 2006 Truman, Eisenhower and the Mediterranean Cold War, The Maghreb Review, Vol., 31 (1-2).
- 2004 Britain and the ‘Hand-Over’ of Italian War Criminals to Yugoslavia, 1945-48, Journal of Contemporary History, Vol. 39 (4).
- 2001 Britain and the Reconstruction of the Post-Fascist Italian Armed Forces, Cold War History, Vol. 2 (1).
Selected conference papers
- 2013 ‘America, Britain and the Challenge of Southern Europe in the 1970s’, Panel 16, 20 June 2012,SHAFR Annual Conference, 22–24 June 2013, Crystal City, Virginia, US.
- 2013 SEIAP Launch Conference: A Strategy for Southern Europe? Assessing Challenges, Exploring Opportunities, Opening Remarks, LSE, 14 October 2013.
- 2013 ‘Greece and Mediterranean Security in the 1980s’, University of Padova Conference, 8–9 November 2013.
- 2013 SEIAP Lisbon Workshop, Round table panellist, 22 November 2013.
- 2012 ‘Unintended Consequences: Human Rights, European Security and the International Implications of the Greek Dictatorship’, Conference: The International Dimension of Southern European Dictatorships: organised by LSE IDEAS, 19 June 2012.
- 2012 ‘Fault Lines in Post War Mediterranean, 1945-1979’, Lecture, Hellenic Studies Program, Macmillan Centre, Yale University, 22 October 2012.
- 2011 “Footnotes” as an Expression of Distrust? The U.S. and the NATO “Flanks” in the Last Two Decades of the Cold War, Conference: “Trust, but Verify”: Confidence and Distrust from Détente to the End of the Cold War, co-organised by the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars and the German Historical Institute, Washington, DC, 7–9 November 2011.
- 2011 The US, the Balkans and the Cold War Mediterranean under the Shadow of Détente, Conference: The Balkans in the Cold War: co-organised by LSE IDEAS and the Konstantinos Karamanlis Institute for Democracy (Greece), Athens, 27–29 May 2011.
- 2010 ‘A Social Democratic Foreign Policy in Action: Britain and Italy, 1945-50’, Conference: North Atlantic Conference on British Studies, Baltimore, MD, US, 12–14 November 2010.
- 2010 ‘The US, Détente and the Making of Southern Europe’, Conference: “The Mediterranean and Southern Europe: Crisis and Transformation: From Détente to the Second Cold War”: organised by the University of Padua, Italy, 1–3 July 2010.
- 2010‘When “More Flags” Meant “No European Flags”: The US, its European Allies and the War in Vietnam, 1964-1974’, Conference: The American Experience in South East Asia, 1946-75: organised by the Office of the Historian, US Department of State, Washington DC, 29–30 September 2010.
- 2009 ‘Britain and the Greek Dictators: 1967-70’, Centre for Contemporary British History, IHR, School of Advanced Study, University of London, Conference: Britain and the Cold War, 22–25 June 2009.
- 2009 ‘Lessons from the Past? Britain and Italy’s Guilty Secret’, SOLON (Society, Order, Law, Offences, Notoriety): Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London; Centre for Contemporary British History, IHR, School of Advanced Study, University of London, Conference: War Crimes: Retrospectives and Prospects, 19–21 March 2009.
- 2008 ‘From the Truman Doctrine to the Eisenhower Doctrine: Ten Years of American Declaratory Policy and its Effects” ’, The European Institute at Columbia University, New York, US, Conference: Cold War in the Mediterranean: Connecting the Fronts, 14–15 November 2008.
- 2008 ‘ “A Discordant Note”: NATO and the Greek Junta, 1967-74’, Academy of Finland Distinguished Professor Program, University of Tampere, Finland, Conference: Conflict and Community: Transatlantic Relations during the Cold War, 12–14 May 2008.
- 2007 ‘The Origins of the Treaty of Brussels: Britain and the Defence of Europe in the 1940s’, Rome, American University of Rome and University of Rome III, Italy, Conference: The Brussels Pact and its Legacy: A Reappraisal of European Defence and Transatlantic Relations Sixty Years since its Signing, 6–8 March 2008.
- 2007 'A Sea of Confusion’: The US, the USSR and the Mediterranean, 1969-1974’ at the ‘US and USSR Relations during the Era of Détente, 1969-1974’ conference which was organised by the US Department of State, Washington DC, 22–23 October 2007.
- 2007‘Bevin, Sforza and the Council of Europe’, IHR, Senate House University of London, CCBH Summer School Conference: Britain and Europe in the C20th, 11–13 July 2007.
- 2005 ‘Human Rights and Foreign Policy: Wilson and the Greek Dictators, 1967-1970’, Annual Conference, The Past is Never Far Away, Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations, University of Maryland, MD, and NARA, College Park, 22–25 June 2005.