From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Egbert is a name that derives from old Germanic words meaning "bright edge", such as that of a blade. Anglo-Saxon variant spellings include Ecgberht and Ecgbert. German variant spellings include Ekbert and Ecbert.
People named Egbert
- Ecgberht of Kent, king in of Kent (ruled 664–673)
- Saint Ecgberht of Ripon, hermit and missionary in Northumbria (died 729)
- Ecgbert (bishop), archbishop of York (died 766)
- Egbert II of Kent, king of Kent (died c. 784)
- Egbert of Lindisfarne, bishop of Lindisfarne (died 821)
- Egbert of Wessex, king of Wessex (ruled 802–839)
- Ecgberht I of Northumbria, king of Northumbria (deposed 872; died 873)
- Ecgberht II of Northumbria, king of Northumbria (ruled c. 876–883)
- Egbert (archbishop of Trier), (c. 950–993)
- Egbert I, Margrave of Meissen (d. 1068)
- Egbert II, Margrave of Meissen (c. 1060–1090)
People with the first name Egbert
- Egbert Cleave, American author
- Aloe Blacc, born Egbert Nathaniel Dawkins III, Panamanian-American musician
People with the surname Egbert
- Albert Gallatin Egbert (1828–1896), U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania
- Harry C. Egbert (1839–1899), Brigadier General in the U.S. Army
- James Chidester Egbert, Jr. (1859–1948), American classical scholar and educator
- James Dallas Egbert III (1962–1980), American college student involved in a widely covered disappearance.
- John Egbert, fictional character in the webcomic Homestuck
- Joseph Egbert (1807–1888), U.S. Representative from New York
- Rae L. Egbert (1891–1964), New York politician
- Sherwood Egbert(1920–1969), president of Studebaker-Packard Corporation
- William Egbert (1857–1836), Canadian physician and politician
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.