Egmond aan den Hoef
|Egmond aan den Hoef|
Lamoral, Count of Egmont before the remains of Castle den Hoef (Castle Egmond), and in the background the 13th-century castle chapel which was fully restored in the 17th century
The town centre (darkgreen) and the statistical district (lightgreen) of Egmond aan den Hoef in the municipality of Bergen (NH.)
Egmond aan den Hoef (Dutch province of North Holland. It is a part of the municipality of Bergen, and lies about 7 km west of Alkmaar. Until 2001, Egmond aan den Hoef was part of the municipality of Egmond.) is a village in the
In 2001 Egmond aan den Hoef had 2491 inhabitants. The built-up area of the town was 0.42 km², and contained 922 residences. The wider statistical area of Egmond aan den Hoef had a population of around 3540, which had risen to 3920 by end 2008.
In Egmond aan den Hoef are the remains of the Op den Hoef castle, the residence of the House of Egmond. The castle was first built in the 11th century, and was destroyed around 1205. It was rebuilt and fortified, and was destroyed again in the 14th century. Again it was rebuilt. In 1573 at the order of William the Silent it was demolished by the Geuzen, led by Diederik Sonoy. The remnants were taken down at the end of the 18th century. During the 1830s the remains were dug up.
The French philosopher René Descartes, author of Meditations on First Philosophy, lived in Egmond aan den Hoef, right near the castle remains, in 1643-44 and perhaps longer. For many years he lived in the neighboring village of Egmond-Binnen.
- William II, Lord of Egmond (ca.1230-1304)
- John I, Lord of Egmond] (1310 - 1369)
- Arnold I, Lord of Egmond (1337 - 1409)
- John II, Lord of Egmond] (1384 - 1451)
- William IV, Lord of Egmont (1412 - 1483)
- John III of Egmont, first Count of Egmond (1438 - 1516)
- John IV of Egmont, 2nd Count of Egmond (1499 - 1528)
- Isaac le Maire (1558-1624), founder of the Dutch East India Company
- René Descartes (1596-1650)
- Nicolaes Witsen (1641-1717), mayor of Amsterdam
- Teun de Nooijer (born there in 1976), hockey player
- Media related to Egmond aan den Hoef at Wikimedia Commons