|Born||13 May 1946
Bad Laer, Osnabrück, Westphalia, Lower Saxony, Germany
|Institutions||University of Pisa|
Université Catholique de Louvain
University of Münster
|Known for||Abstract State Machines|
|Notable awards||Humboldt Research Award (2007)|
Professor Egon Börger was born in Bad Laer, Westphalia, Lower Saxony, Germany. Between 1965 and 1971 he studied at the Sorbonne, Paris (France), Université Catholique de Louvain and Institut Supérieur de Philosophie de Louvain (in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium), University of Münster (Germany). Since 1985 he has held a Chair in computer science at the University of Pisa, Italy. Since September 2010, he has been an elected member of the Academia Europaea.
Professor Egon Börger is a pioneer of applying logical methods in computer science. He is co-founder of the international conference series CSL. He is also one of the founders of the Abstract State Machines (ASM) formal method for accurate and controlled design and analysis of computer-based systems  and cofounder of the series of international ASM workshops. He contributed to the theoretical foundations of the method and initiated its industrial applications in a variety of fields, in particular programming languages, System architecture, requirements and software (re-)engineering, control systems, protocols, web services. To this date, he is one of the leading scientists in ASM-based modeling and verification technology, which he has crucially shaped by his activities. In 2007, he received the Humboldt Research Award.
- Egon Börger and Robert Stärk, Abstract State Machines: A Method for High-Level System Design and Analysis, Springer-Verlag, 2003. (ISBN 3-540-00702-4)
- Egon Börger Computability, Complexity, Logic (North-Holland, Amsterdam 1989, translated from the German original from 1985, Italian Translation Bollati-Borighieri 1989)
- Egon Börger, The Classical Decision Problem (co-authored by E.Graedel and Y.Gurevich), Springer-Verlag 1997, ISBN 3-540-57073-X, 2nd Edition as "Universitext", Springer-Verlag 2001, ISBN 3-540-42324-9
- Egon Börger, Java and the Java Virtual Machine: Definition, Verification, Validation (co-authored by R. Staerk and J. Schmid), Springer-Verlag ISBN 3-540-42088-6, 2001
- Abrial, Jean-Raymond and Glässer, Uwe (2009). "Tribute to Egon Börger on the Occasion of his 60th Birthday". Rigorous Methods for Software Construction and Analysis - Papers Dedicated to Egon Börger on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5115 (Springer). Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "Egon Boerger". Academia Europaea. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- Computer Science Logic, University of Trier, Germany.
- Abstract State Machines Research Center.
- International ASM workshops, University of Michigan, USA.
- Humboldt foundation, Germany.
- Egon Börger home page
- Publications, etc.
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
|This article about a German academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a computer specialist of Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|