Egypt is an unincorporated community in western Jackson Township, Auglaize County, Ohio, United States. Located at (40.3856031, -84.4330070), the community sits at an elevation of 971 feet (296 m), approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the village of Minster.
Egypt's first settlers were Roman Catholic immigrants from Germany. In the community's earliest years, travel in the vicinity was extremely difficult due to the muck of the Great Black Swamp. According to an early twentieth century history of the community, the name "Egypt" was given by one of the early pioneers, who is said to have remarked that "this place was made of a dab of mud that fell from the wheelbarrow of God when He made the world and therefore it ought to be called 'Egypt'".:334 Because the people of the community could only attend church in Minster with great difficulty, they made a petition for a church in Egypt;:335 accordingly, St. Joseph's Catholic Church was organized in 1852.
Egypt has always been small; its people were collectively able to raise only eight hundred dollars for the construction of their new church in 1852,:336 and today only a single business is located in the community. It is distinguished by St. Joseph's Church, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The community also includes a cemetery, as well as the site of a former school.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Egypt, Ohio
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, 55. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
- McMurray, William J., ed. History of Auglaize County Ohio. Vol. 1. Indianapolis: Historical Publishing Company, 1923.
- Brown, Mary Ann. Ohio Historic Inventory Nomination: Egypt Catholic Church. Ohio Historical Society, February 1977.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Saint Josephs Cemetery
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Egypt School