Ehud "Udi" Goldwasser (Hebrew: אהוד גולדווסר; 18 July 1975 - 12 July 2006) was an Israeli soldier who was captured in Israel by Hezbollah along with Eldad Regev on 12 July 2006, sparking the 2006 Lebanon War. His rank was First Sergeant.
On 16 July 2008, the bodies of Goldwasser and Regev were returned to Israel in the 2008 Israel–Hezbollah prisoner exchange. An examination of the bodies determined that the two reservists were killed during the ambush.
Prior to his capture at Israel's border with Lebanon, Ehud "Udi" Goldwasser lived in Nahariya. He was a graduate student at the Technion, the Israeli Institute of Technology, from which he had earlier earned an undergraduate degree in environmental engineering. As a teenager, he lived in South Africa with his parents, Shlomo and Mickey, and two younger brothers. In 2005, he married Karnit, who would later campaign globally for his release. He was interested in environmental conservation, motorcycles, sailing and photography.
According to the United Nations, the fighting began at around 9 AM when Hezbollah launched rockets on Israeli military positions along the Lebanese border, apparently as a diversion. A force then attacked two armored IDF Humvees patrolling the border near the Israeli village of Zar'it with anti-tank rockets, and captured the two soldiers.
On 16 July 2008, Hezbollah transferred the coffins of Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, in exchange for Lebanese militant Samir Kuntar and four other Hezbollah fighters captured by Israel during the 2006 Lebanon War, as well as the remains of 199 Lebanese and Palestinian militants.
The exchange took place on the Lebanese side of the border at Rosh Hanikra. Their Hezbollah captors had withheld any information about the condition of the two soldiers since they were captured on 12 July 2006.
- "Israel buries remains of returned soldiers". CNN. 2008-07-17.
- For Families of Captives, a Long Wait in the Dark
- "List of environmental engineering graduates". Technion. 2006-07-13.
- MIDDLE EAST WAR: WIFE PLEA FOR SOLDIER
- Kidnapped Soldier's Wife Seeks His Release
- "Remains of abducted soldiers Goldwasser and Regev returned home". Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2006-07-16.
- S/2006/560 of 21 July 2006
- "IDF releases names of two reserve soldiers kidnapped by Hezbollah". Haaretz. 2006-07-13.
- "UN identifying bodies presumed to be of Goldwasser, Regev". The Jerusalem Post. 2008-07-16.
- "Coffins said to hold bodies of Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev taken to Israel-Lebanon border". Haaretz. 2008-07-16.
- Myra Noveck; Graham Bowley (2008-07-18). "Funerals in Israel for Two Soldiers". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "Aerosmith lines up behind abducted IDF soldiers", Israel21c, 19 September 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ehud Goldwasser.|
- Official site about the 2006 MIAs (Shalit, Goldwasser, Regev)
- Event of Two Israeli Soldiers Kidnapped - YnetNews
- Udi's photography gallery