|Also called||Eid ul-Ghadeer|
|Observances||Prayers, giving gifts, festive meals.|
Part of a series on
|Dastgah · Ghazal · Madih nabawi
- For more details on Eid al-Ghadeer, see Hadith of Ghadeer Khumm
Eid al-Ghadeer is a festive day observed by Shia Muslims on the 18th of Dhu al-Hijjah in the Islamic calendar to commemorate the appointment of Ali ibn Abi Talib by the Islamic prophet Muhammad as his immediate successor, as per Shia belief. It marks the anniversary of Muhammad's sermon, described in Hadith of the pond of Khumm, in which he stated, Whomsoever's master (maula) I am, Ali is also his (maula) master. O' God, love those who love him, and be hostile to those who are hostile to him.."من كنت مولاه فهذا عليّ مولاه أللهم والِ من والاه و عادِ من عاداه"
All Shia Muslims including Ithna 'ashariyah, Ismaili, Mustaali, Taiyabi, Fatimid, Dawoodi Bohra and Alavi Bohra celebrate the day with a tradition of taking mass oath on the day to reassert commitment to Islam, in the same manner as their individual adult take oath on reaching adulthood. This they believe to be continued from the period of their Fatimid Imam.
Sunni Muslims do not celebrate this day as they feel that only Eid ul-Adha and Eid-ul-Fitr are established celebratory days. They deny the Shia belief that Ali was appointed successor by Prophet Muhammad.
Background Context 
A few months before his passing on, Muhammad – living in the city of Medina – made his last religious pilgrimage to Makkah in a trip referred to as The Farewell Pilgrimage. There, atop Mount Arafat, he addressed the Muslim masses in what came to be known as The Farewell Sermon. After completion of the Hajj, or religious pilgrimage, Muhammad turned back towards his home in Medina. On the trip there, he stopped at the pond of Khumm (at present Al-Johfa) and appointed Ali as the master of believers and also took covenant about his master ship from those who were present at the occasion. The exact meaning of the word Maula (master) is a matter of disagreement among the major sects of Islam; The tradition is recorded in both Shia and Sunni authentic books of traditions but they disagree on the interpretation of the tradition and the event, specifically the word Maula. There is also minor differences in the exact words of the Tradition but that is the case for many repetitive traditions found in a single book of tradition as well. The tradition recorded in authentic Muslim books like Sahih Muslim narrate that after the pilgrimage, Muhammad ordered the gathering of Muslims at the pond of Khumm and it was there that Muhammad nominated Ali to be the master (Maula), which the Shias interpret based on the events and the words of the tradition to be an announcement of Ali successor-ship of Prophet and the Sunnis believe that it was just a praise of Ali (a.s) that the Prophet intended to announce in front of his companions among whom were also some who did not like him and hence the stoppage for two days and the event as well. They further believe the wordings of sermon as follows;
"Oh people! Reflect on the Quran and comprehend its verses. Look into its clear verses and do not follow its ambiguous parts, for by Allah, none shall be able to explain to you its warnings and its mysteries, nor shall anyone clarify its interpretation, other than the one that I have grasped his hand, brought up beside myself, [and lifted his arm,] the one about whom I inform you that whomever I am his master (Maula), this Ali is his master (Maula); and he is Ali Ibn Abi Talib, my brother, the executor of my will (Wasiyyi), whose appointment as your guardian and leader has been sent down to me from Allah, the Greatest, Mighty and the Majestic."
- The Last Sermon of Muhammad according to Shia Accounts.
- Why do Shias celebrate Eid-e-Ghadeer?
- Sermon of Ameerul Momineen(asws) at Ghadeer http://www.wilayatmission.com/GhadeerEng.html (Sermon of Ameerul Momineen(asws) at Ghadeer)
- Eid-e Ghadir
- The Event of Ghadir Khumm (citations and interpretations) from Various Sunni Sources
- (Sermon of Ameerul Momineen(asws) at Ghadeer)
- The Sermon of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) in Ghadir Khum
- Ghadir Khumm - Interesting Aspects of a Unique Event
- What Happened at Ghadeer Khumm
- خطابه غدیر (Arabic)
- The event of Ghadeer Khum in Quran, Sunnah & History (Sunni perspective)
- خطابه غدیر
- Map of Ghadeer showing distance from Mecca, almost halfway between Medina and Mecca
- Complete Sermon at Ghadir Khumm in English Version
- Ghadir, the Greatest Eid of All Religions
- The Event of Ghadir Khumm in the Qur'an, Hadith, History
- "Al-Muraja'at: A Shi'i-Sunni dialogue". (letters 55-58)
- Ghadir Khumm
- Event of Ghadir Khumm
Sermon of Ameerul Momineen(asws) at Ghadeer
- http://www.wilayatmission.com/GhadeerEng.html (Sermon of Ameerul Momineen(asws) at Ghadeer)