||This article needs attention from an expert in Islam. The specific problem is: lots of unreferenced religious historical facts. (May 2013)|
Eid al-Mubahila is an annual Muslim commemoration of Mubahila, when Muhammad and the Christians of Najran gathered to debate - and imprecate - each other. The event of Mubahila occurred on 24th of Dhul-Hijja 9/10 Hijri.
The event of Mubahilah took place in the 9th year of Hijra. A deputation of 14 Christian (najran) scholars came to discuss the truth of Islam with Muhammad. Arguments were put forward by both sides. Several days went by and the Christians did not listen to reason. Then Allah revealed the following verses: "Verily, the likeness of E’essa/Jesus with Allah is as the likeness of Adam. He created him of dust, then He said unto him:”Be, and he was” (This is ) the truth from your Lord (O Muhammad), so be not of those who doubt. And whoso disputes with you concerning him after the knowledge which has come unto you, say (unto them): “Come We will summon our sons and you your sons, and our women and you your women, and our ‘selfs’ and your ‘selfs’, and then will pray humbly (to the Lord) and invoke the curse of Allah upon those who lie. (The Holy Quran, 3:58,59 and 60) Muhammad ordered that in a field outside Medina a thin black abaya be used as a shade between two trees. The Christian chiefs and dignitaries of Najran stood in orderly ranks on one side of the field while Muhammad, together with Ali, Fatimah, Hasan and Hussain stood on the other. There, Muhammad recited the tathir verse and addressed the Ahl al-Bayt. They accepted to pay jizya and agreed to come to terms. On behalf of Muhammad, Ali signed a peace treaty with the Christians.
- "Encyclopedia of Islam - Juan Eduardo Campo - Google Books". Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- AYAT AL-MUBAHILA @ Ismaili.NET - Heritage F.I.E.L.D.
- A Restatement of the History of Islam and Muslims (2013-01-26). "Eid al-Mubahalah | Books on Islam and Muslims". Al-Islam.org. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Perspectives on Islamic Faith and History: A Collection of Analytical Essays - Bashir A. Datoo - Google Books". Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Event of Mubahila". Islamic Thought. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Introduction to World Religions: Communities and Cultures - Google Books". Books.Google.co.in. Retrieved 2014-01-29.