Eight Second Ride
|"Eight Second Ride"|
|Single by Jake Owen|
|from the album Easy Does It|
|Released||June 15, 2009|
|Jake Owen singles chronology|
"Eight Second Ride" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Jake Owen. It was released in June 2009 as the fifth single of Owen's career, and the second single from album Easy Does It. Owen had previously recorded the song on his 2006 debut album Startin' with Me. Owen wrote this song with Eric Durrance.
"Eight Second Ride" is an up-tempo in which the male narrator meets a female in a bar, then takes her out to his pickup truck. The title is a reference to the eight-second time limit in bull riding, which is used as a metaphor for sex.
The song has been met with mixed reviews. Kevin J. Coyne of Country Universe gave it a B+, saying that the song was a "work of fantasy" but that Owen's vocal performance made the song "enjoyable." Jim Malec of The 9513 gave a thumbs-down, saying that the intro "bursts out of the gate" but calling the song's storyline "comically unrealistic." He also considered the title disconnected from the premise, because the rest of the song did not pertain to bull riding, and added that he considered it one of the worst single releases of the year. Michael Sudhalter of Country Standard Time also described the song negatively in his review of the album and questioned the decision to re-record it: "One wonders why a song with such an unmemorable melody and cheesy double entendres made it on to one album, let alone two."
Deaton-Flanigen Productions directed the song's music video, which debuted on the television channel CMT (Country Music Television) in August 2009. The video stars Owen's future wife, model Lacey Buchanan from Winter Park, Florida.
The video debuted at number 19 on CMT's Top Twenty Countdown for the week of November 13, 2009. The following week, however, the video fell from the countdown, but re-entered at number 18 for the week of November 27, 2009.
On the week ending November 21, 2009, "Eight Second Ride" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 95. The following week, it moved up to number 82 and has reached number 70 in its fifth week on the chart.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||11|
|US Billboard Hot 100||70|
- "RIAA - Gold & Platinum - Jake Owen". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- Jim Malec (2009-05-27). "Jake Owen — "Eight Second Ride"". The 9513. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Easy Does It review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Sudhalter, Michael. "Easy Does It review". Country Standard Time. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Kevin J. Coyne (2009-07-19). "Jake Owen — "Eight Second Ride"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Chet Flippo (2009-08-10). "New Music Videos From Keith Urban, Reba, Jake Owen, Holly Williams". CMT. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Jake Owen Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Jake Owen.
- "Jake Owen Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jake Owen.