Eighth Area Army (Japan)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Eighth Area Army was an area army of the Imperial Japanese Army. The army was formed on 9 November 1942, becoming effective on 26 November at Rabaul as part of the Southern Army. The army was disbanded in September 1945.
Chief of Staff
- Lt. General Rinpei Kato (9 Nov 1942 - Sep 1945)
Vice Chief of Staff
- Maj. General Ketsu Sato (9 Nov 1942 - 2 Aug 1943)
- Maj. General Yadoru Arisue (2 Aug 1943 - 29 Aug 1943)
- Maj. General Kohei Takeshi (11 Sep 1943 - 19 Jun 1944)
- Seventeenth Army
- Eighteenth Army
- 6th Division
- 1st Independent Mixed Brigade
- 12th Air Brigade
- Part of the 5th Division (20 November 1942)
- 6th Air Division (25 November 1942)
- 7th Air Division (29 January 1943)
- "8. Area Army (Japan)". Axis History Factbook. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- "Chapter VIII, Defence of Papua, Reports of General MacArthur,JAPANESE OPERATIONS IN THE SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA, VOLUME II - PART I". U.S. ARMY CENTER OF MILITARY HISTORY. Retrieved 3 January 2011.