Eisbrecher performing at Summer Breeze 2007
|Genres||Neue Deutsche Härte|
|Labels||ZYX Music, Dancing Ferret Discs, AFM Records, Metropolis Records, Sony Music and Columbia Records|
A Life Divided
Max "Maximator" Schuar
|Past members||Felix Primc
Eisbrecher (German pronunciation: [ˈʔaɪsbʁɛçɐ]; German for "icebreaker") are a German Neue Deutsche Härte band that consists primarily of Alexander Wesselsky (vocals) and Noel Pix (lead guitar/programming), with live support from Jürgen Plangger (guitar), Dominik Palmer (bass), Achim Färber (drums). In the United States and Canada, their record label is currently Metropolis Records. The band's lyrics and slogans often include terms of ice and sailing, such as "Ahoi" ("Ahoy") and "Es wird kalt" ("It's getting cold"); vocalist Alexander Wesselsky often wears naval and military clothing in performances.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Formation and early years (2003–2009)
After leaving Megaherz in 2003 due to creative differences, Wesselsky got together with Noel Pix, who composed the synths, guitars and programming for Megaherz's albums Kopfschuss and Himmelfahrt. In January 2004, the band released their self-titled debut album, Eisbrecher. The first 5,000 copies of the album included a blank CD with permission for purchasers to legally copy the music onto the blank. This was done as a protest against what the band felt was a "criminalization" of fans.
The band would release their second album Antikörper in October 2006. This album would become the band's debut album on the Media Control Charts as it charted at No. 85. The band then toured with U.D.O. in December 2006.
In May 2008, live bass player Martin Motnik left the band, and was replaced by former Megaherz guitar player Olliver Pohl.
"Kann denn Liebe Sünde Sein" was released on July 18, 2008 in Germany as the first single to promote their third album, Sünde. It reached third place in the German Alternative charts. The album was released on August 22, 2008 in Germany and debuted on the Media Control Charts at 18th place. The band then went on their then-biggest tour between September 2008 and October 2009, playing in Germany, Austria, Russia, the Netherlands and Switzerland. Music videos were planned for "This is Deutsch" and "Kann denn Liebe Sünde sein", but were cancelled in favor of new material and live shows.
Eiszeit and Die Hölle muss warten (2009–2013)
On April 24, 2009, Wesselsky and Pix were guests on Radio Goethe to promote the American release of Sünde. Wesselsky mentioned that he would love to tour the United States "as soon as possible". He also mentioned that, with the popularity of Rammstein, Nena and Falco, he hopes that Eisbrecher can become the next big German act in the United States. He also talked about their upcoming fourth album; no title was named, but said that work was in progress. He described that the new album will be "very rockish, very pop and very heart breaking."
On June 20, 2009, Eisbrecher performed at their first major Austrian music festival, the Nova Rock Festival; other bands, such as Killswitch Engage, Monster Magnet and In Extremo also performed on the same stage.
Their fourth studio album, Eiszeit, was released in mid-April 2010. The single "Eiszeit" was released on March 19, 2010 and became their debut single in the Media Control Charts, at No. 84. The album was released on April 16, 2010 and debuted in the Media Control Charts at No. 5, the Ö3 Austria Top 40 charts at No. 34 and the Swiss Music Charts at No. 76.
After the Summer Breeze Open Air festival, bassist Olli Pohl left the band. The band later found a new bass guitar player, Dominik Palmer.
In November 2010, Eisbrecher toured with Alice Cooper and Tarja Turunen during Cooper's "Theatre of Death Tour" of Germany. Eisbrecher's drummer Rene Greil was temporarily replaced during the tour by Sebastian Angrand, as Greil needed back surgery.
On February 26, 2011, it was announced in the Herzeleid.com forums that live drummer Rene has left Eisbrecher due to health reasons. Rene was replaced by Achim Färber. Announced on March 31, 2011, it was reported that Eisbrecher will release a best of album titled Eiskalt due for release on April 29, 2011. However, Alexx said that the album was made without the band's knowledge and that they did not choose any of the songs to appear on the compilation.
The first single from the album "Verrückt" was released on January 20, 2012. The album was released on February 3, 2012 and charted in Germany at No. 3, in Austria at No. 21 and Switzerland at No. 16. The second single, "Die Hölle muss warten", was released on March 30, 2012.
Eisbrecher played at many festivals between May and September 2012, including Mera Luna Festival, Amphi Festival, the Wave-Gotik-Treffen Festival and the Nova Rock Festival among others. During May and December 2012, Eisbrecher supported the German rock band Scorpions for their shows on May 12 & 13 and December 15 & 17, 2012 in Germany.
Die Hölle muss warten: Miststück Edition was released with four new songs including "Miststück 2012", a DVD with five live clips and all of the DHMW music videos, a tourdokumentation and more on September 28, 2012.
Eisbrecher played at the Wacken Open Air Festival, the largest metal festival in Europe, on August 2, 2013. In November and December 2013, Eisbrecher went on a tour to celebrate their 10th anniversary as a band since forming in 2003.
On the band's official website on March 21, 2013, Rupert Keplinger was announced as the band's new bass player. The reason for Dominik's departure from the band was not mentioned.
A Single, 10 Jahre Eisbrecher, Was released on November 29th, 2013.
New Album (2014-Present)
On February 12th, 2014 Eisbrecher announced on their official Website page that they have entered the studio to begin work on their next album. They have mentioned that due to the recording of the new album this year for an early 2015 release, that they have had to limit the amount of shows to play in 2014.
Announced via the bands official website on March 6th 2014, Eisbrecher will be releasing a special album entitled 10 Jahre Kalt on March 11th 2014, made only available in the USA. The album will be released via Metropolis Records.
- Alexx Wesselsky – vocals (2003–present)
- Noel Pix – lead guitar, production (2003–present)
- Jürgen Plangger – rhythm guitar (2007–present)
- Rupert Keplinger – bass guitar (2013–present)
- Max "Maximator" Schauer – keyboards, programming (live and session: 2003–2007, session only: 2008–present)
- Achim Färber – drums and percussion (2011–present)
- Feelix Primc – rhythm guitar (2003–2007)
- Micheal Behnke – bass guitar (2003–2007)
- Martin Motnik – bass guitar (2007–2008)
- Olli Pohl – bass guitar (2008–2010)
- Dominik Palmer – bass guitar (2010–2013)
- Rene Greil – drums (2003–2011)
- Sebastien Angrand – drums, percussion (2010)
|2012||Die Hölle muss warten||—||3||21||16||—||5|
- 2011: Eiskalt (Compilation Album) - Ger:#69
- 2014: 10 Jahre Kalt (USA Special Release)
- 2003: "Mein Blut"
- 2003: "Fanatica"
- 2006: "Leider" (#9 in the DAC)
- 2006: "Vergissmeinnicht" (#15 in the DAC)
- 2008: "Kann denn Liebe Sünde Sein" – (#3 in the DAC)
- 2010: "Eiszeit" (Germany: No. 84)
- 2012: "Verrückt" (#1 in the DAC, No. 43 D)
- 2012: "Die Hölle muss warten"
- 2012: "Miststück 2012" (#13 in the DAC)
- 2013: "10 Jahre Eisbrecher
Other charted songs
- 2012: "Prototyp" – (#1 in the DAC)
- 2003: "Schwarze Witwe"
- 2005: "Herz steht still"
- 2006: "Willkommen im Nichts"
- 2006: "Vergissmeinnicht"
- 2010: "Eiszeit"
- 2011: "Verrückt"
- 2012: "Die Hölle muss warten"
- 2012: "Miststück 2012"
- 2004: Asleep By Dawn magazine Issue #2 companion CD – song "Schwarze Witwe"
- 2005: Nachtwelten – song "Mein Blut"
- 2005: Gothic Spirits – songs "Eisbrecher" and "Herz steht still"
- 2007: Melodic Metal Dreams For Christmas – song "Vergissmeinnicht"
- 2008: All For Metal – song "Vergissmeinnicht"
- 2009: Metropolis: Rebirth 2.0 – song "Schwarze Witwe (Remix 2009)"
- 2009: All For Metal, II – song "Heilig"
- 2010: Amphi Festival 2009 – live DVD
- 2010: Cold Hands Seduction Vol.105 – song "Heilig (Live)"
- 2010: Krieg Im Kopf – song "Böse Mädchen"
- 2010: European Metal Assault – song "Dornentanz"
- 2010: Rock Mundial – song "Kann denn Liebe Sünde sein?"
- 2014: Schattenreich Vol.6 - Song "Verrückt"
- German Charts - Eisbrecher
- Discogs: Asleep By Dawn, Issue #2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eisbrecher.|