El Camino Fundamental High School
|El Camino Fundamental High School|
|4300 El Camino Avenue
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||San Juan Unified School District|
El Camino Fundamental High School is a public high school in Sacramento, California in the San Juan Unified School District. Built in 1950 as El Camino High School, "Fundamental" was added to the name in the late 1970s to signify the school's intention to focus upon basic (fundamental) characteristics of successful schools, in particular a return to a strong disciplinary emphasis, a stripped-down college preparatory curriculum, and a contract-supported, enroll-through-application-only process.
Academically, as measured by their Academic Performance Index, El Camino finally broke the important "800" barrier in 2009 after two years of changes implemented by its former principal, Mike Stockdale. El Camino has continually met the requirements of the Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) outlined under No Child Left Behind mandates, since their inception.
El Camino has, for some years, participated with the state's "California Partnership Academy" program through the Eagle Polytechnic Institute (EPI) which focuses on engineering.
The school offers Advanced Placement courses in Chemistry, English, Government, Psychology, Physics, Calculus, Statistics and Spanish.
El Camino Band
El Camino Fundamental High School has four academic bands and one Pep Band. All four bands are under the leadership of Band Director Kevin Glaser, who has been teaching at the school since 1994, was a News 10 KXTV Teacher of the Month in 2007, and has made the EC (El Camino) band program what it is today.
EPI (Eagle Polytechnic Institute)
The EPI program is for students who wish to get a career in the engineering field. They offer classes in engineering for every year. Students take Engineering 1 their sophomore year, and advance through their senior year. EPI is for the students who like doing hands on learning. The students also can take Radio and TV as their EPI class. Which gives them a chance to be a part of Low Down, or El Camino's radio station.
El Camino won the Sacramento County Academic Decathlon back-to-back in 1984 and 1985. The 1989 and 1990 year teams are widely regarded as the best El Camino ever fielded.
Several El Camino Fundamental High School's sports teams at one point were ranked nationally including the El Camino E-gals dance/drill team who won the UNITED Spirit associAtion's national competition in the dance/drill category in 2004. The school competes in the Capital Athletic League.
Shelley Friery, former vice principal of the school, is the current principal, having served since 2013. Jill Spears, formerly a vice principal at the school, was the principal until 2013, having served since 2010. Michael Stockdale, formerly a vice principal at Woodcreek High School in Roseville, CA served from 2007-2010. Ernest Boone, formerly the principal at River City High School in West Sacramento, CA and Vacaville High School in Vacaville, CA served as principal at El Camino from 1993-2007.
- Andy Allo - Singer/songwriter
- Mike Burton - Olympic gold medalist swimmer
- Phil Isenberg - State Assemblyman and former Sacramento Mayor
- Claude "Butch" Lee Edge - Former MLB pitcher
- Derrek Lee (1993) - Former MLB first baseman
- Larry Linville - Major Frank Burns in the television series M*A*S*H
- Christina Kahrl – Co-founder of Baseball Prospectus, editor for ESPN.com, and member of the Baseball Writers Association of America
- Victor Kim - Member of Quest Crew, winners of MTV's 3rd season of America's Best Dance Crew
- Kate Levering - Actress
- Malati Dasi (Melanie Lee Nagel) - First international female leader of the Hare Krishna movement
- Mandisa - Singer
- Jessica Chastain - Academy-Award-nominated actress (dropped out)
- Laura Ingle - Correspondent for Fox News Channel
- Tom Lowell (Lowell W. Thomas) - Actor and producer
- El Camino Fundamental High School official website
- The El Camino Band website
- Sacramento County Academic Decathlon results