El Dorado (Iron Maiden song)
|Single by Iron Maiden|
|from the album The Final Frontier|
|Released||8 June 2010|
|Recorded||Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas in 2010|
|Writer(s)||Bruce Dickinson, Adrian Smith, Steve Harris |
|Iron Maiden singles chronology|
"El Dorado" is the second track from British heavy metal band Iron Maiden's 2010 album The Final Frontier. The song is the band's forty-first single, and the only one from the album. It was made available as a free download on the band's official site at 00:01 on 8 June 2010 (UTC), one day before the album's supporting tour began. The cover art was created by Anthony Dry and is based on the covers of the EC Comics published by William Gaines that were popular in the 1950s. Regarding the early online release of the song, vocalist Bruce Dickinson explained, "El Dorado is a preview of the forthcoming studio album. As we will be including it in the set of our Final Frontier World Tour, we thought it would be great to thank all our fans and get them into The Final Frontier mood by giving them this song up front of the tour and album release."
[El Dorado] has a cynical lyric about the economic crap that's been happening. It seemed a bit like a perfect storm; people were borrowing money like crazy. I thought, "This is really going to screw people up" and sure enough, we're all in deep doo-doo! And that's what El Dorado is about, it's about selling somebody the myth that "The streets are paved with gold" and them asking, "Where do I sign up?"
The song's guitar solo, which lasts from about 3:42 to 4:23, is a trade-off divided into three parts; the first is played by Adrian Smith (3:42-3:53), the second by Dave Murray (3:53-4:06), and the third, which segues into the verse riff again, by Janick Gers (4:06-4:23).
- Iron Maiden
- Bruce Dickinson – lead vocals
- Dave Murray – guitar
- Adrian Smith – guitar
- Janick Gers – guitar
- Steve Harris – bass guitar, co-producer
- Nicko McBrain – drums
- Kevin Shirley – producer, mixing
- Jared Kvitka – engineer
- Anthony Dry – cover illustration
- Peacock – art direction, design
- "'We're Taking No Prisoners'". Kerrang!. 9 June 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2010.
- "Maiden Announce Release Date, Artwork and Tracklisting for New Album The Final Frontier". Iron Maiden official website. 8 June 2010. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- "Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Ozzy, Korn Among Grammy Awards Nominees". Blabbermouth. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
- "Grammy Awards: Best Metal Performance". Rock on the Net. Retrieved 8 March 2009.
- "53rd Grammy Awards Winners". Grammys. 13 February 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "El Dorado - Single Review". Ultimate Guitar. 10 November 2010. Retrieved 31 August 2011.