El Garces Hotel
El Garces Hotel under reconstruction, April 12, 2009.
|Location||950 Front St., Needles, California|
|Architect||Wilson, Francis W.|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|Governing body||Private owner|
|NRHP Reference #||
|Added to NRHP||May 17, 2002|
El Garces Hotel is a historic railroad station and hotel located in Needles, California. Built by the Santa Fe Railroad under contract with the Fred Harvey Company in 1908, the hotel was designed in an elegant Neoclassical and Beaux-Arts style and was considered "the Crown Jewel" of the entire Fred Harvey chain. This early Harvey House was designed by architect Francis W. Wilson.
The hotel was named in honor of Spanish missionary Father Francisco Garcés, an explorer in 1774 with Juan Bautista de Anza and the legendary De Anza expedition. The hotel's restaurant was staffed by the famous Harvey Girls, young women who worked for the Fred Harvey Company. The El Garces Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 2002.
El Garces hotel and restaurant closed in 1949. Historic U.S. Route 66 went by the hotel from the 1920s through the 1960s. The Santa Fe railroad station was used by Amtrak until it closed in 1988. Restoration and reconstruction of the historic El Garces began on March 7, 2007. Allen Affeldt, owner of the historic La Posada Hotel in Winslow, Arizona, intended to buy the station, opening an upscale hotel and restaurant, but abandoned that plan after a 2009 audit; the Federal Transit Administration determined that, because it had granted $4.8 million in public funding for construction, ownership has to remain with the city.  City redevelopment of the intermodal transportation facility continued with the station to open in winter 2014 (without the proposed Needles Chamber of Commerce, hotel, and restaurant).
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "Historic El Garces Harvey House and RR Depot". Needles, CA, USA: East Mojave Historic Route 66 Association. Archived from the original on 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "El Garces Hotel".
- What’s happening with El Garces?, updated July 19, 2011.
- By JENNIFER DENEVAN Needles Desert Star. "Mohave Daily News: Needles Desert Star". Thedesertstar.com. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "About Needles". Cityofneedles.com. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- El Garces Hotel
- A Harvey House home page
- City of Needles
- The Needles station ("El Garces")
- Needles Amtrak Station and El Garces Hotel (USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)
- East Mojave Historic Route 66 Association