El Periódico de Catalunya
|Founded||26 October 1978|
|Political alignment||Centre-left, Social liberalism, Progressivism|
|Language||Spanish and Catalan|
|Headquarters||Consell de Cent, 425-427
08009 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
The paper publishes separate daily editions in Spanish and in Catalan. The two editions combined sell more than 125,000 copies per day, making El Periódico the second highest-circulated newspaper in Spain's Catalan-speaking regions, behind La Vanguardia which also publishes in both languages. Nationally, El Periódico is Spain's fifth-highest circulation general-interest daily.
History and profile
El Periódico de Catalunya was founded in 1978 by Antonio Asensio Pizarro, to offer a progressive Catalan paper connected to Catalan socialism. The paper has also center-left stance. The paper is owned by Grupo Zeta.
One of the most recent directors, Rafael Nadal, is the brother of the Catalan socialist leader Joaquim Nadal. Originally El Periódico printed only in Spanish; it began a Catalan-language edition on 27 October 1997. Today the separate editions are distinguished by the red front-page nameplate on the Spanish version of El Periódico and the blue nameplate on the Catalan edition.
It is regarded as an easy read as compared to its competitors, and its quite popular among working-class people. Following the example of USA Today, El Periódico later began to emphasize graphics and the use of color. Today, it prints every page in color and makes liberal use of charts and photos.
Its current editor is Enric Hernàndez, previously chief of El País bureau in Catalonia.
- Figures covering July 2010 to June 2011 from Spain's Oficina de Justificación de la Difusión, Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Katrin Voltmer (2006). Mass Media and Political Communication in New Democracies. Psychology Press. p. 19. ISBN 978-0-415-33779-3. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Frank R. Baumgartner; Laura Chaqués Bonafont (2014). "All News is Bad News: Newspaper Coverage of Political Parties in Spain". Political Communication. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- El Periódico celebra l'èxit de l'edició en català (in Catalan), 30 April 2011
- Roland Schroeder (2004). "Interactive Info Graphics in Europe-- added value to online mass media: a preliminary survey". Journalism Studies 5 (4). doi:10.1080/14616700412331296473. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- Alan Albarran (10 September 2009). Handbook of Spanish Language Media. Routledge. p. 25. ISBN 978-1-135-85430-0. Retrieved 29 October 2014.