El Rey (network)
|El Rey Network|
|Launched||December 15, 2013|
|Owned by||Troublemaker Studios
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|DirecTV||Channel 341 (SD)|
|Time Warner Cable||On select systems|
|Comcast||On select systems|
El Rey Network (Spanish for The King) is an English language American television channel targeting Latino audiences launched by Robert Rodriguez in 2013 in a deal with Univision. It is available on Comcast, DirecTV and Time Warner Cable.
As part of its arrangement to acquire a majority interest in NBCUniversal, Comcast Corporation committed to carry several minority-owned channels. The arrangement followed pressure led by Maxine Waters in congressional hearings. In April 2011, Comcast solicited proposals for minority owned networks. In February 2012, Comcast announced distribution arrangements for four networks, including El Rey. The four announced networks and six forthcoming stations are being chosen from among in excess of 100 proposals to begin airing by 2020.
Rodriguez has partnered with FactoryMade Ventures executives John Fogelman and Cristina Patwa. The network targets Latino audiences with an English-language general entertainment network. The network distributes reality, scripted, and animated series, movies, documentaries, news, music, comedy and sports programming. Comcast has stated that the network "...prominently feature Hispanic producers, celebrities and public figures..." The network targets second and third-generation Latinos who are often bilingual but speak English as their primary language. The network hopes to succeed at a higher level than prior attempts to service the same demographic because of the commitment from Comcast.
The network airs on the digital basic service in some of Comcasts' systems. Comcast had announced that the network was expected to debut by January 2014. In August 2012, the network announced that its CEO is Antoinette Alfonso Zel. As of 14 May 2013[update], the network planned to launch in December 15, 2013, following an investment from Univision. Time Warner Cable was among the first cable companies to offer El Rey Network. The channel was added to DirecTV lineups on January 1, 2014.
In November 2013, it was announced that the production of From Dusk till Dawn: The Series had already begun. Also Matador from Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, will premiere in July 2014 and also Mexican lucha libre (professional wrestling) from Asistencia Asesoría y Administración, produced by Mark Burnett, will premiere on the second half of 2014.
- Stelter, Brian (February 20, 2012). "Hip Hop Mogul to Unveil Plan for Music Cable Channel". The New York Times. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Braxton, Greg and Meg James (February 21, 2012). "Laker legend to launch a TV network:Magic Johnson's channel, Aspire, will be carried by Comcast and focus on blacks". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Jensen, David (April 4, 2011). "Comcast Begins Effort to Launch 10 Independent Networks". Comcast. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Guthrie, Marisa (February 21, 2012). "Comcast to Launch Networks Backed by Sean Combs, Magic Johnson and Robert Rodriguez". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "Comcast to start new minority-owned cable channels". Sports Illustrated. February 21, 2012. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Molloy, Tim. "Comcast Announces New Networks With Magic Johnson, Sean Combs, Robert Rodriguez". Reuters. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Gratereaux, Alexandra (February 21, 2012). "Robert Rodriguez Wants You for New Network Channel". Fox News. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "El Rey Network Announces Antoinette Alfonso Zel As CEO". PR Newswire. August 6, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "Univision Communications and El Rey Network Announce Strategic Partnership, Unveil Upcoming Scripted Series". Univision. May 14, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "Univision pairs with Rodriguez on El Rey network". Associated Press. May 14, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "Univision, Time Warner Cable strike new distribution deal". Los Angeles Times. October 9, 2013. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- T2's Robert Patrick & More Join 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series', by Craig Hunter
- Caldwell, James (January 12, 2014). "Mexico news: AAA officially bringing TV to the U.S., has backing of big-name TV producer". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved January 17, 2014.