El día que me quieras (1935 film)
|El día que me quieras|
|Directed by||John Reinhardt|
|Produced by||Robert R. Snody|
|Written by||Alfredo Le Pera|
|Music by||Carlos Gardel (music)
Alfredo Le Pera (lyrics)
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Running time||82 minutes|
El día que me quieras (in English: The day that you will love me) is a 1935 musical film which starred the legendary tango singer Carlos Gardel, Spanish actress Rosita Moreno and the tango singer Tito Lusiardo. The film was directed by John Reinhardt, produced by Robert R. Snody and written by the tango lyricist Alfredo Le Pera.
The film tells the story of Julio Arguelles, the son of a wealthy Buenos Aires businessman, who wants to marry Margarita, who is considered to be below his social status. Despite the father’s opposition they marry and elope together. The film then traces the life of the couple and, following the death of the young Margarita, concludes with Julio’s rise to fame as a tango singer. Astor Piazzolla, who in later life would revolutionized traditional tango, played a cameo role as a young paper boy.
- Carlos Gardel (Julio Argüelles, the son)
- Rosita Moreno (Margarita/Marga, the young wife)
- Tito Lusiardo (Rocamora)
- Manuel Peluffo (Saturnino)
- Francisco Flores del Campo (Daniel Dávila)
- José Luis Tortosa (Pedro Dávila)
- Fernando Adelantado (Carlos Argüelles, the father)
- Suzanne Dulie (Pepita)
- Celia Villa (Juanita)
- Agustín Cornejo (guitar player)
- Alberto Infanta (policeman)
- Astor Piazzolla (newspaper boy)
The film features the following songs all with music by Carlos Gardel and lyrics by Alfredo Le Pera:
- Suerte negra - a country walz sung as a trio by Carlos Gardel, Tito Lusiardo and Manuel Peluffo.
- Sol tropical - a rumba.
- El día que me quieras - a tango sung as a duet in the final part of the film by Carlos Gardel y Rosita Moreno.
- Sus ojos se cerraron - a tango.
- Guitarra, guitarra mía - a country song.
- Volver - a tango.
- Piazzolla, Ástor. A Memoir, Natalio Gorin, Amadaeus, 2001.
- El día que me quieras at the American Film Institute Catalog
- El día que me quieras at the Internet Movie Database
|This article about a musical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|