Elaine Anderson Steinbeck
She was previously known as Elaine Anderson during her acting career. While married to actor Zachary Scott she was also known as Elaine Scott, and after her marriage to author John Steinbeck she was known as Elaine Steinbeck.
Elaine Anderson was born on August 14, 1914 in Austin, Texas.
Marriage and children
- daughter Waverly (1936 – unknown). Also known as "Waverly Kaffaga" (wife of painter Al Kaffaga), executrix of her mother's estate.
Within a week of her divorce from Zachary Scott, Elaine married John Steinbeck on December 28, 1950. They remained married until his death on December 20, 1968.
Anderson studied drama at the University of Texas. She worked with husband Zachary at the Austin Little Theatre for several years, and in the process they met several people with connections in the New York theatre. Around 1940 the Scotts moved to New York City to seek success there. Though both wished to be successful actors, Zachary had more success in that area, so Elaine began working for The Theatre Guild in New York and learned the technical aspects of theatre production.
Ms. Steinbeck was a replacement assistant stage manager.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2010)|
- Jones, Kenneth. "Elaine Steinbeck, Author's Widow and Former Stage Manager, Dead at 88" Playbill 29 Apr. 2003. 20 Sept. 2005 
- Lisheron, Mark. "Who was Zach?" Zachary Scott Theatre Center. 20 Sept. 2005 
- Nemy, Enid. "Elaine Steinbeck, 88, Author's Widow, Dies." The New York Times 29 Apr. 2003, Late ed., C19
- Van Neste, Dan. "Zachary Scott: A Scoundrel with Style" Classic Images Mar. 1998. 20 Sep. 2005 
- Woo, Elaine. "From the pages of his life, her legacy of love and work", Sydney Morning Herald, 14 May 2003. 20 Sept. 2005