Elaine Irwin Mellencamp
August 26, 1969 |
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, United States
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Measurements||(US) 34-25-35 ; (EU) 86.5-63.5-89|
|Dress size||(US) 6 ; (EU) 36|
Early life and career
||This section includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2011)|
Elaine Irwin was born in Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania. At 16 she left home to pursue a modeling career. After her photo appeared in Seventeen in 1985, the Boyertown honor student and varsity letter-winner in track and cross country was a much sought-after face for magazine covers, advertisements and commercials. In 1989 she appeared in New Order's video Round & Round. Within a few years, she became one of the Ford Models and had graced the cover of dozens of fashion magazines, including Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Self and Elite. Her American Beauty Vogue cover was shot by Richard Avedon.
She made her move onto the runway for Victoria's Secret and Calvin Klein and soon became a favorite subject of photographers like Herb Ritts, Irving Penn, and Steven Meisel for her natural, soft look.
Irwin made history on May 27, 2001, when she became the first woman to drive the pace car at the Indianapolis 500. She was also an at-large delegate to the 2004 Democratic National Convention.
Elaine was 23 when she married musician John Mellencamp. The two met when she was hired to appear on the cover of Mellencamp's Whenever We Wanted album (and appear in the music video for "Get A Leg Up." Within 10 weeks, they were engaged. The couple have two sons, Hud (born 1994) and Speck (born 1995).
On December 30, 2010, it was announced that she and John Mellencamp were separating after eighteen years of marriage, but both were choosing to stay in Indiana to raise their two children. Elaine Irwin moved to LA soon after. On January 14, 2011 John Mellencamp filed for divorce and requested that Elaine be returned to her maiden name 'Irwin'. On August 12, 2011 their divorce was finalized.
In October 2012 Elaine became engaged to Indy car team owner Jay Penske, who is nine years her junior. They had a daughter in May 2013.
- Elaine Irwin appeared on The Tavis Smiley Show on August 16, 2010, and informed the host that her birthday is August 26, not August 16 as has been widely reported.
- Elaine Irwin Mellencamp at the Fashion Model Directory
- "Mellencamp taking stage with both Obama, Clinton". Associated Press. 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2008-11-27.[dead link]
- "John Mellencamp's marriage over", Brisbane Times, December 31, 2010
- "Inside John Mellencamp's Divorce - He's Got The Prenup!", Radaronline.com, January 20, 2011
- "John Mellencamp Officially Divorced", People Magazine, August 15, 2011