Lui in 2009
September 26, 1973 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Alma mater||University of Western Ontario|
|Occupation||Television personality, reporter|
|Spouse(s)||Jacek Szenowicz (m. 2001)|
Elaine "Lainey" Lui (Chinese: 雷若芬, born September 26, 1973) is a Canadian television personality, reporter, and infotainer. She considers herself a self-proclaimed gossip maven. She pens a website, laineygossip.com, is a reporter for CTV's etalk, and is also a co-host on CTV's daily talk series The Social.
Early life and education
Lui was born and raised in Toronto. Her parents, Judy and Bernard, immigrated to Canada from Hong Kong in 1970. They worked odd jobs, including washing dishes and cleaning hotel rooms. Eventually, her father found stable work as an accountant. When Lui was 6, her parents divorced and her mother returned to Hong Kong. Lui spent many summers in Hong Kong to visit her mother. Her parents reunited when she was 16.
Lui attended middle school and high school at the Toronto French School and graduated from Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute. In 1996, she graduated with a B.A. in French and history from the University of Western Ontario.
Lui worked in not-for-profit fundraising. She was living in Vancouver and working for the University of British Columbia when she returned to Toronto to care for her mother, who needed a kidney transplant. She then took a job with Covenant House, which offers shelter and services for the homeless. The roots of LaineyGossip.com are in an email that Lui sent to two friends to keep them up to date on celebrity gossip. That subscriber list quickly grew and she started her blog. She left Covenant House in 2006 to commit herself full-time to her blog.
etalk, CTV's Canadian entertainment newsmagazine, hired Lui in 2006 as a celebrity gossip source. Since joining etalk in 2006, Lui has covered the Oscars, the Super Bowl, the JUNO Awards, Sundance Film Festival, Cannes Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVAs).
Lui married Jacek Szenowicz in November 2001. They met when she worked for Rogers and ran a seminar in Vancouver.
- Lui, Elaine (April 1, 2014). Listen to the Squawking Chicken: When Mother Knows Best, What's A Daughter to Do? A Memoir (Sort Of). Toronto: Random House Canada. ISBN 978-0345813473.
- "Elaine Lui gets Social on new talk show; Gossip hound adds TV series to busy schedule". Calgary Herald, August 31, 2013.
- Landau, Emily (April 2, 2014). "In Lurv With Lainey: Elaine Lui’s rise to the top of the gossip pantheon". Toronto Life. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "ELAINE “LAINEY” LUI/LAINEYGOSSIP.COM BIO". Lainey Gossip. Spring 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "Talk TV is getting a social makeover". The Globe and Mail, September 10, 2013.